Do we know why?

Gav…

[1] - https://lists.apache.org/list.html?site-svn@forrest.apache.org:2017-10 <https://lists.apache.org/list.html?site-svn@forrest.apache.org:2017-10>
Re: Forrestbot site publishes always include dtd pdf changes [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:50:43PM +1100, Gavin McDonald wrote:
> As per the subject, I was checking through the forrest svn-site mailing list archives [1] and noticed that every time (usually David) publishes the Forrest website, two pdf changes to the same two documents (v13 and v20) are always published as well - even though they are clearly not part of the changes that triggered the publish in the first place.
>
> Do we know why?

Yes. There is some discussion and issues in the archives, but sorry i have no time to find it.

IIRC, it has something to do with the generation of the PDFs by FOP.
It rewrites some metadata (perhaps "date") every time.

As you can see from [1] i just let it deploy anyway.

You may find also that there is some generated image that changes for no apparent reason.
This flip-flops depending on the operating system of the person doing the deployment.
We have not seen it for a while, as it has been only me doing the publishing.

-David

Re: Forrestbot site publishes always include dtd pdf changes [ In reply to ]
> On 25 Jan 2018, at 9:41 am, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:50:43PM +1100, Gavin McDonald wrote:
>> As per the subject, I was checking through the forrest svn-site mailing list archives [1] and noticed that every time (usually David) publishes the Forrest website, two pdf changes to the same two documents (v13 and v20) are always published as well - even though they are clearly not part of the changes that triggered the publish in the first place.
>>
>> Do we know why?
>
> Yes. There is some discussion and issues in the archives, but sorry i have no time to find it.

ack thanks, after I sent this note a bit of deja vu crept in :)

> IIRC, it has something to do with the generation of the PDFs by FOP.
> It rewrites some metadata (perhaps "date") every time.
>
> As you can see from [1] i just let it deploy anyway.

ok thanks.

> You may find also that there is some generated image that changes for no apparent reason.
> This flip-flops depending on the operating system of the person doing the deployment.
> We have not seen it for a while, as it has been only me doing the publishing.

Ok, lets see what happens when I do it - these days Im on a MAC

Gav…

Re: Forrestbot site publishes always include dtd pdf changes [ In reply to ]
A note for the archives:

A glance (there might be more) at the issues for Component "Plugin: output.pdf"
found these two:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1077
new CreationDate causes constant differences in output pdf documents

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1200
stop re-generating PDF documents on Forrest website

-David