do not need forrest-osgi to read it.

-Brian

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1096394
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 07:20:09PM -0700, Brian M Dube wrote:
> There is a new whiteboard experiment in r1096394.
>
> It is briefly documented in whiteboard/forrest-osgi/docs. Note that
> the Forrest project in docs is a normal 0.9 or 0.10-dev project. You
> do not need forrest-osgi to read it.

It seems there are still issues with Java 5. Java 6 works for me on
Ubuntu.

-Brian
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:08:22PM -0700, Brian M Dube wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 07:20:09PM -0700, Brian M Dube wrote:
> > There is a new whiteboard experiment in r1096394.
>
> It seems there are still issues with Java 5. Java 6 works for me on
> Ubuntu.

Now Java 5 works for me.

-Brian
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
Wow, Brian, very exiting. I have read though the
docs and will investigate soon.

-David
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 07:47:35PM +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Wow, Brian, very exiting. I have read though the
> docs and will investigate soon.

Great, thanks. I'll gladly expand the documentation based on any
questions.

-Brian
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
Brian M Dube wrote:

> Great, thanks. I'll gladly expand the documentation based on any
> questions.

Perhaps some very high-level scenarios.

Does this mean that components such as
Apache Cocoon blocks, e.g. Cocoon3 components
and Apache Sling, Apache Jackrabbit
can be readily utilised?

-David
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
We are going to have the continued problem of management
of dependencies and supporting products.

There is the new project "EasyAnt" coming through the
Apache Incubator.

http://incubator.apache.org/easyant/
http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#easyant

-David
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 04:26:42PM +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Brian M Dube wrote:
> >
> > Great, thanks. I'll gladly expand the documentation based on any
> > questions.
>
> Perhaps some very high-level scenarios.
>
> Does this mean that components such as
> Apache Cocoon blocks, e.g. Cocoon3 components
> and Apache Sling, Apache Jackrabbit
> can be readily utilised?

Good question.

The Apache Cocoon blocks, as currently shipped with Apache Forrest,
are not ready to drop into an OSGi environment. It looks like this is
also the case with Cocoon3, but that is only a guess based on the
website content and not the code.

It is possible to "wrap" a jar, which adds the manifest headers
necessary for OSGi. One scenario is to wrap each block along with all
its dependencies, possibly duplicating dependencies in each wrapped
block. Another scenario is to wrap each block as is and supply the
dependencies as individual bundles. But either way, the dependencies
have to be provided somehow. It's not as easy as having them on the
classpath in the non-OSGi sense.

For other OSGi-based projects, such as Apache Sling, absolutely. The
details depend on how they've set up their bundles (services? custom
manifest headers?), but in the end it's OSGi and there would be a way
to use it.

I should state that I'm no authority on OSGi. I'm learning as I go
here.

-Brian
Re: new whiteboard experiment, OSGi style [ In reply to ]
Brian M Dube wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Brian M Dube wrote:
> > >
> > > Great, thanks. I'll gladly expand the documentation based on any
> > > questions.
> >
> > Perhaps some very high-level scenarios.
> >
> > Does this mean that components such as
> > Apache Cocoon blocks, e.g. Cocoon3 components
> > and Apache Sling, Apache Jackrabbit
> > can be readily utilised?
>
> Good question.
>
> The Apache Cocoon blocks, as currently shipped with Apache Forrest,
> are not ready to drop into an OSGi environment. It looks like this is
> also the case with Cocoon3, but that is only a guess based on the
> website content and not the code.

I recall there being lots of discussion about OSGi in the
height of the Cocoon-2 days.

Not saying that we should hold on to Cocoon,
rather that i presume OSGi enables us to utilise
components from various providers.

Also the prior Cocoon work would provide some good
background information.

A quick search to find some Cocoon starting points:

[osgi] Initial code
http://s.apache.org/t4

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/osgi

OSGi integration : make Cocoon (blocks) OSGi driven
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON/component/12311920

I do not know how far those efforts progressed.

Then recently:
Cocoon 3: the three sisters as OSGi bundles?
http://s.apache.org/yI

-David