Mailing List Archive

NSOT: rejecting e-mail from lists
One e/mail provider has recently set a strange policy, refusing e
mail from their own users, unless they come from their own servers.
This seems however apply to any message. Inclusive those form
lists.
One person [jore] wrote asking why she did not receive messages
in the list from another one [maria] .
J just got the message from my archive and bounced her.
surprise: for every message come a bounce message as follows.
Is this way to work correct ?
this would forbide using of e-mail lists for such people, since when
sending from the listserver the message arrives with an internal
from message, so authentication is required and so message
refused.
*I had to bounce the message not keeping original address, but as
an enclosure in a my message ...)
Here a partial bounce message:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
failed:

jose@katamail.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host smtp.katamail.ksmail.it [194.153.172.230]:
553 Authentication is required to send mail as
<maria@katamail.com>

what happened ? these people refuse
Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze
V. S. Marta 3 - I-50139 Firenze
tel +39()0554796431
cel +39 3488605348
fax +39()055495333
http://www.dicea.unifi.it/~leo
Re: NSOT: rejecting e-mail from lists [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 May 2002, Leonardo Boselli wrote:

> One e/mail provider has recently set a strange policy, refusing e
> mail from their own users, unless they come from their own servers.
> This seems however apply to any message. Inclusive those form
> lists.

This is a stupid policy. You might want to point out to them that they
are rejecting their own users list submissions.
Re: NSOT: rejecting e-mail from lists [ In reply to ]
--
On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:16:31PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
| On Tue, 21 May 2002, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
|
| > One e/mail provider has recently set a strange policy, refusing e
| > mail from their own users, unless they come from their own servers.
| > This seems however apply to any message. Inclusive those form
| > lists.
|
| This is a stupid policy. You might want to point out to them that they
| are rejecting their own users list submissions.

I think they're just not being an open relay. The SMTP error message
was :

jose@katamail.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host smtp.katamail.ksmail.it [194.153.172.230]:
553 Authentication is required to send mail as
<maria@katamail.com>

I think the MLM is trying to masquerade itself as the original poster,
and thus is being denied. The MLM should change the envelope sender
to refer to itself rather than try and leave the original intact.

HTH,
-D

not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Re: NSOT: rejecting e-mail from lists [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 May 2002 23:35 , dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> said:

> --
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 06:16:31PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
> | On Tue, 21 May 2002, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> |
> | > One e/mail provider has recently set a strange policy, refusing e
> | > mail from their own users, unless they come from their own servers.
> | > This seems however apply to any message. Inclusive those form
> | > lists.
> |
> | This is a stupid policy. You might want to point out to them that they
> | are rejecting their own users list submissions.
>
> I think they're just not being an open relay. The SMTP error message
> was :
>
> jose@katamail.com
> SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
> host smtp.katamail.ksmail.it [194.153.172.230]:
> 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
> <maria@katamail.com>
>
> I think the MLM is trying to masquerade itself as the original poster,
> and thus is being denied. The MLM should change the envelope sender
> to refer to itself rather than try and leave the original intact.

We see this now and again from MTAs receiving mail from our MLM. Our MLM
does not masquerade, the mail from:<...> will be of the form

owner-listname@listserv.liv.ac.uk

Alan
Re: NSOT: rejecting e-mail from lists [ In reply to ]
On 22 May 2002, at 14:57, Alan Thew wrote:

> > I think they're just not being an open relay. The SMTP error
> > message was :
> >
> > jose@katamail.com
> > SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
> > host smtp.katamail.ksmail.it [194.153.172.230]:
> > 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
> > <maria@katamail.com>
> >
> > I think the MLM is trying to masquerade itself as the original
> > poster, and thus is being denied. The MLM should change the
> > envelope sender to refer to itself rather than try and leave the
> > original intact.
> >
> We see this now and again from MTAs receiving mail from our MLM. Our
> MLM does not masquerade, the mail from:<...> will be of the form
>
> owner-listname@listserv.liv.ac.uk

whith yahoo is not the same ... it uses the original poster as the X-
sender and there is no sender . the only clue that is a list is the
Apparently To header !

!

--
Leonardo Boselli