solutions (mail scanning can not take place on A since the overheads incured
would be concidered too high)

Antony
Re: help needed [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Antony Carr wrote:

> The bit i am having problems with at the moment is the sending of mail onwards
> from A to B,mainly because exim see's the domain as a local domain (which it
> is) and so it gets passed on to the directors (rather than routers) and
> because of this i cant use the domainlist option (as far as i can tell).

you can use the smartuser driver to force the use of a specific
transport; which, in turn, would be something that forcibly sends the
message to server B.

don't forget to use some condition in that smartuser director, to
prevent loops ($sender_host_address seems to be pretty appropriate)

--
[-]
Re: help needed [ In reply to ]
> you can use the smartuser driver to force the use of a specific
> transport; which, in turn, would be something that forcibly sends the
> message to server B.
Would i be right in guessing the way of doing this would be through piping to
a program, or is there a way of doing this internally, since i do not appear
to be able to use the domainlist driver in a transport.

antony
Re: help needed [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Antony Carr wrote:

> Would i be right in guessing the way of doing this would be through piping to

no.

:)

> a program, or is there a way of doing this internally, since i do not appear
> to be able to use the domainlist driver in a transport.

you don't need to - see the `hosts' option for the smtp transport.
also check it's docs carefully, it refers you to a couple of other
options you will need to use.

--
[-]
Re: help needed [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Antony Carr wrote:

> > you can use the smartuser driver to force the use of a specific
> > transport; which, in turn, would be something that forcibly sends the
> > message to server B.
> Would i be right in guessing the way of doing this would be through piping to
> a program, or is there a way of doing this internally, since i do not appear
> to be able to use the domainlist driver in a transport.

domainlist is a router, not a transport. Routers (and directors in Exim
3) take decisions; transports carry out the delivery actions.

Your guessing is wrong. Use smartuser to direct to an smtp transport;
the transport defines the destination.

On page 98 of the O'Reilly book there is a section entitled "Virus
Checking on an External Host" which I think covers what you are trying
to do. (But note that the book is for Exim 3 only.)

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
Re: help needed [ In reply to ]
Just wanted to thank everyone who pointed out my stupidity, and gave me
pointers. Got it all working now, and understand exim a lot better! :)

Cheers,
Antony