Mailing List Archive

how do I create a filter
Hello all,

I am sorry to come with such a newby question, but I looked everywhere, posted everywhere possible, and I dont find an answer.

Here are the facts:

I try to have an email starting a php script.

So I send an email to:

alias@domain.com: "|/usr/bin/php /home/domain/public_html/script.php",popaccount@domain.com (this is added manually in my /etc/valiases/domain.com

the script script.php go and get the mail in popaccount, and treat it as it should.

it works perfectly.

BUT: exim does not receive the non error flag, and believe there is an error: it mails back to the sender and give him an error

I went on exim.org, and I found there was a way to create a filter in my root ("~"), and in that filter, to set an ignore_status flag in accordance with an email adress.

I tried a lot, I dont succeed. Is anybody could help me ?
I am of course not controlling my server (no root access). I just have a telnet access.

Thanks

- -
Sébastien Bernard.
how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

sorry to insist, I know, it is a busy list, but I really need one or
two minutes of help from you :-(

At least, is it possible to do something about my pb from a .forward
filter ?
How do I know the .forward is enabled on my host ? I tried to set a
very simple one, I tested it as the say in the doc, and the test was
ok, but it does not seems to filter anything in real.

And then ?

If I was able to resolve this pb, I could open a nice thread on my
isp's forum, a lot of users are asking about what I am doing ...

Thanks for the one of you who is going to help me :-)

Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
Quoth Sebastien Bernard on Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 15:52:50 +0200
> At least, is it possible to do something about my pb from a .forward
> filter ?
> How do I know the .forward is enabled on my host ? I tried to set a
> very simple one, I tested it as the say in the doc, and the test was
> ok, but it does not seems to filter anything in real.

RTFM. There is a large section on filters in the Exim docs either on the
web site or in the docs/ directory of the distribution.

In breif, you want to add a router (see the doc for which one, or even
the configuration template), re-start Exim (or HUP it) and then test it
with: exim -d -bf .forward < test-mail

Not difficult.

> Thanks for the one of you who is going to help me :-)

You're welcome.

--
yann@kierun.org -=*=- www.kierun.org
PGP: www.kierun.org/pgp/key-kierun
Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 03:52:50PM +0200, Sebastien Bernard wrote:
> If I was able to resolve this pb, I could open a nice thread on my
> isp's forum, a lot of users are asking about what I am doing ...
> Thanks for the one of you who is going to help me :-)

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.00/doc/html/spec_21.html#SECT21.3
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_24.html#SEC673

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick <mbm@colondot.net> http://colondot.net/
Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
> RTFM. There is a large section on filters in the Exim docs either
> on the web site or in the docs/ directory of the distribution.
> In breif, you want to add a router (see the doc for which one, or
> even
> the configuration template), re-start Exim (or HUP it) and then
> test
> it with: exim -d -bf .forward < test-mail
>
> Not difficult.

It seems you answer to my question, it is not possible to add a router in a .forward ? As far as I dont have access to exim, being hosted and not being root, I cannot of
course restart it.
BTW, i read the fucking manual, it is maybe clear for you, not for me unfortunately.

Thanks anyway.

Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
Quoth Sebastien Bernard on Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 16:30:16 +0200
> It seems you answer to my question, it is not possible to add a router
> in a .forward ? As far as I dont have access to exim, being hosted and
> not being root, I cannot of course restart it.

Ah. Contact your system administrator and ask him if [s]he runs Exim and
if so, if [s]he allows users to use filter file commands.

BTW, exim -d -bt filter-file < test-message can be run as any user to
test your own filter file.

> BTW, i read the fucking manual, it is maybe clear for you, not for me
> unfortunately.

You should try to read the filter part of the manual. It's not that
difficult to understand.

Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 04:30:16PM +0200, Sebastien Bernard wrote:
> It seems you answer to my question, it is not possible to add a router
> in a .forward ? As far as I dont have access to exim, being hosted and
> not being root, I cannot of course restart it.

In which case you lose. Sorry. If the sysadmin says you can't do it, you
can't do it.

> BTW, i read the fucking manual, it is maybe clear for you, not for me
> unfortunately.

The `F' also stands for ``fine'', a concept which I think applies more to
the exim manual than a lot of others.

If you don't have root, that isn't this list's problem. Sorry.

You may want to http://www.google.com/search?q=procmail or something
similar.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick <mbm@colondot.net> http://colondot.net/
Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Sebastien Bernard wrote:

> It seems you answer to my question, it is not possible to add a router
in a .forward ? As far as I dont have access to exim, being hosted and
not being root, I cannot of > course restart it.

Although this list is called "exim-users", what that really means is
"managers of Exim installations". People assume that is what you are,
not an end user. The Exim documentation is also written with system
managers in mind. It assumes knowledge of Unix systems and mail
administration.

No, you can't put routers in .forward. Routers are things that get put
by the admin into the Exim configuration.

What you can put in a .forward is documented in a document called
"Exim's interface to mail filtering". This is written with end-users in
mind. If your sysadmin hasn't made a copy available to you, ask for one.

> BTW, i read the fucking manual, it is maybe clear for you, not for me unfortunately.

Although "RTFM" is any amusing acronym used by everybody, I am unlikely
to respond further to posts that contain explicit expletives. We do try
to keep this mailing list more or less civilized.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
Yes sir, you are right, except I dont find "amusing" that acronym, but very vulgar and I never will use it, being a non english mother tongue. So about a more or less civilized
list ...
Also, I am sure you are a very bright man, certainly brighter than me, I just thanks God for not have let me do my studies in Cambridge university, not letting me meet
teachers as "dry" and "humanless" than you seems to be.
Anyway, no flame, I immediately stop subscription on that guru's list.
Bye.

Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Sebastien Bernard wrote:

> Also, I am sure you are a very bright man, certainly brighter than me, I just thanks God for not have let me do my studies in Cambridge university, not letting me meet
> teachers as "dry" and "humanless" than you seems to be.

Please,

Calm down, calm down!

That's what I was trying to get you to do with my first message, but
clearly I failed. Sorry about that. It is far too easy to write emails
that give the wrong impression, especially when the native languages of
the readers and writers are different. I seem to have failed badly in
this instance.

It is also far too easy for discussions on mailing lists to degenerate
into flame wars. As the author of Exim, I spend a lot of time reading
this list. So far, it has remained pretty free of flames, and with a
cooperative spirit. I'd like to keep it that way, because I don't like
confrontations, and I don't handle stress well. That's why I made my
remark about expletives.

That probably also sounds dry and pompous, but I can't think of any way
of saying it that doesn't.

You'd be safe coming to Cambridge. I am not a teacher. I am a software
developer.

> Anyway, no flame, I immediately stop subscription on that guru's list.

As a non-Exim-admin, I don't expect that you would gain very much from
this list, because the topics are all admin related, though there are
plenty of non-gurus on the list. However, I regret that you are leaving
in an apparently unhappy state of mind.

Philip

Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Sebastien Bernard wrote:

> > RTFM. There is a large section on filters in the Exim docs either
> > on the web site or in the docs/ directory of the distribution.
> > In breif, you want to add a router (see the doc for which one, or
> > even
> > the configuration template), re-start Exim (or HUP it) and then
> > test
> > it with: exim -d -bf .forward < test-mail
> >
> > Not difficult.
> >

> It seems you answer to my question, it is not possible to add a
> router in a .forward ? As far as I dont have access to exim, being
> hosted and not being root, I cannot of course restart it.
>
> BTW, i read the fucking manual, it is maybe clear for you, not for me unfortunately.

The manual is for sysadmins. If you are not the admin of the exim box in
question, then you really should talk to the person that is.

Exim is a server program, used by server operators to provided
facilities to their users (employees/customers/self).

Re: how do I create a filter [ In reply to ]
> Also, I am sure you are a very bright man, certainly brighter than me, I just
> thanks God for not have let me do my studies in Cambridge university, not
> letting me meet teachers as "dry" and "humanless" than you seems to be.

I, for one, would be honored to have a teacher such as Philip Hazel. In a way, I
guess I do, because I learned Exim from his documentation! Furthermore, I have
never met a software author as responsive and helpful (not even myself, though I
have always tried). Stay just the way you are, sir! Please don't let one unhappy
person ruin your day. He is outnumbered by many, many happy users.

Sincerely,
Jim Roberts
President (and very happy Exim administrator)
Punster Productions, Inc.