From: user@my.domain

To: postmaster@my.domain

Subject: Testing Exim

This is a test message

^D

I get and error and the following lines are inserted in eximmaillog.

---

2002-07-23 13:31:25 17Wxsh-00012G-00 <= root@my.domain U=root P=local S=307

2002-07-23 13:31:25 17Wxsh-00012G-00 == admin@my.domain postmaster@my.domain R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: creating lock file hitching post /var/mail/admin.lock.my.domain.somenumber (euid=502 egid=502)

--

The mail group has rw rights to /var/mail

What have I done wrong ?

Cheers, Flemming

Re: NEWBIE: installation problems [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Flemming Christensen wrote:

[..]

> 2002-07-23 13:31:25 17Wxsh-00012G-00 == admin@my.domain
> postmaster@my.domain R=localuser T=local_delivery defer (13):
> Permission denied: creating lock file hitching post
> /var/mail/admin.lock.my.domain.somenumber (euid=502 egid=502)

Did you try searching the exim FAQ for "lock file hitching post"?
Apparently not, becuase if you did you would have had your answer and
not needed to ask it here..
SV: NEWBIE: installation problems [ In reply to ]
Yes, I have read the documentation and looked at the FAQ, and it can be a tiny bit overwhelming for a newbie to find the right spot to look when things doesn't work out as planned. That's why I looked for help here.

Re: SV: NEWBIE: installation problems [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Flemming Christensen wrote:

> Yes, I have read the documentation and looked at the FAQ, and it
> can be a tiny bit overwhelming for a newbie to find the right spot

then, specifivally, try Q0036 of the exim4 faq

--
[-]
Re: SV: NEWBIE: installation problems [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Flemming Christensen wrote:

> Yes, I have read the documentation and looked at the FAQ, and it can
> be a tiny bit overwhelming for a newbie to find the right spot to
> look when things doesn't work out as planned. That's why I looked
> for help here.

http://www.exim.org/

"Documentation and FAQs"

exim3 FAQ:

"edit/find in page"

(typed) lock file hitching post

(found)
* Q0201: Why do I get the error "Permission denied: creating lock file hitching post" when Exim tries to do a local delivery?

exim4 FAQ:

"edit/find in page"

(typed) lock file hitching post

# Q0036: Why do I get the error Permission denied: creating lock file hitching post when Exim tries to do a local delivery?

SV: NEWBIE: installation problems [ In reply to ]
Thanks Dave!

But I should have mentioned in my last reply that I found the error and the solution when I discovered the -d command parameter and used it to track what was happening !

I also found the spot in the FAQ after your first reply ... !

Cheers,

Flemming