placeholder for fetchmail.
I can't use exim as postmaster in the gemailrc file; neither
postmaster="| /path/to/exim" nor postmaster="|/path/to/exim login" work.
Any suggestions?

thanx in advance.

--
Laurent DARRAMBIDE, France
Debian Sid, kernel 2.4.18
Re: Using exim with getmail [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Laurent DARRAMBIDE wrote:

> Hello,
> i've got trouble using exim as filter with a program called getmail, a
> placeholder for fetchmail.

s/placeholder/replacement/ ?

> I can't use exim as postmaster in the gemailrc file; neither
> postmaster="| /path/to/exim" nor postmaster="|/path/to/exim login" work.
> Any suggestions?

exim is not a filter - exim is an MTA (Mail Transport Agent), eg, a mail
server (that happens to support something it calls filtering when
delivering messages)

Re: Using exim with getmail [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 12:06:44PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Laurent DARRAMBIDE wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > i've got trouble using exim as filter with a program called getmail, a
> > placeholder for fetchmail.
>
> s/placeholder/replacement/ ?
oops!! was sure i saw it before :o)
mv placeholder > /dev/null
s/placeholder/replacement/

> > I can't use exim as postmaster in the gemailrc file; neither
> > postmaster="| /path/to/exim" nor postmaster="|/path/to/exim login" work.
> > Any suggestions?

> exim is not a filter - exim is an MTA (Mail Transport Agent), eg, a mail
> server (that happens to support something it calls filtering when
> delivering messages)
sure, that's what i'm looking for; i can use exim with fetchmail in *replacement* <g> of procmail by putting ....wants
mda="/usr/sbin/exim %T" in my fetchmailrc.
but this doesn't work with getmail.
thanks
--
Laurent DARRAMBIDE, France
Debian Sid, kernel 2.4.18
Re[2]: Using exim with getmail [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:06:44 -0400 (EDT) "Dave C." <djc@microwave.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Laurent DARRAMBIDE wrote:
> > I can't use exim as postmaster in the gemailrc file; neither
> > postmaster="| /path/to/exim" nor postmaster="|/path/to/exim login"
> work.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> exim is not a filter - exim is an MTA (Mail Transport Agent), eg, a mail
> server (that happens to support something it calls filtering when
> delivering messages)

i'm a little baffled at what Laurent is trying to do here.

i use getmail to scavange a number of pop/imap accounts and haul email back
to my laptop when it's on the net. one of the major advantages of getmail
over fetchmail is that it doesn't reinject email into the MTA, but delivers
directly into mailboxes. therefore, there should be no need for a getmail
config to reference the MTA on the system; you should just be specifying
the delivery target and style (e.g., mbox vs. maildir).

i'm still using traditional delivery to /var/spool/mail, so my getmail
configs look like this:

[Richard's SS Mail]
server = localhost
port = 8111
readall = 1
username = rwelty_suespammers.org
password = XXXXXXXXX
postmaster = /var/spool/mail/rweltyss # Default delivery to this mbox
message_log = "" # Don't log for this account
recipient_header = received # only look for recipient headers
recipient_header = x-envelope-to # in "Received:" and "X-Envelope-To:" headers
no_delivered_to = 1 # Don't add a Delivered-To: header for this mailbox

where port 8111 is a local stunnel daemon pointing at the pop3s port on the
remote system.

this is all completely off topic for exim as exim really has nothing to do
with it, and probably should be discussed on the getmail list instead.

richard
--
Richard Welty
rwelty@suespammers.org Averill Park Networking
Re: Using exim with getmail [ In reply to ]
> i'm a little baffled at what Laurent is trying to do here.

very sad not beeing understood.really :-((
I think I must blame my english skills.

> i use getmail to scavange a number of pop/imap accounts and haul email back
> to my laptop when it's on the net. one of the major advantages of getmail
> over fetchmail is that it doesn't reinject email into the MTA, but delivers
> directly into mailboxes. therefore, there should be no need for a getmail
> config to reference the MTA on the system; you should just be specifying
> the delivery target and style (e.g., mbox vs. maildir).

I maybe should explain further more :
1) I get my mail with getmail from my ISP pop accounts
2) some are directly forwarded to mbox(es) associated with those accounts
3) some must be filtered; I used to use (good english ???)

POP <-- fetchmail --> procmail --> mbox, but found procmail's syntax cryptic
sometimes, so switched to

POP <-- fetchmail --> exim (filter) --> mbox : easy to do using
mta="/usr/sbin/exim -Y -d %T" in fetchmailrc

discovered getmail, far more convenient for me:

POP <-- getmail --> mbox : OK
POP <-- getmail --> procmail + Spamassassin {filtering} --> mbox : OK
POP <-- getmail -x-> exim {filtering} -x-> mbox : FAILURE

so how to : transmit mails collected by getmail to exim for filtering
them. In other word, what's the trick to get getmail delivering mail to
exim through a pipe to get the mail filtered ???

> i'm still using traditional delivery to /var/spool/mail, so my getmail
> configs look like this:
>
> [Richard's SS Mail]
> server = localhost
> port = 8111
> readall = 1
> username = rwelty_suespammers.org
> password = XXXXXXXXX
> postmaster = /var/spool/mail/rweltyss # Default delivery to this mbox
> message_log = "" # Don't log for this account
> recipient_header = received # only look for recipient headers
> recipient_header = x-envelope-to # in "Received:" and "X-Envelope-To:" headers
> no_delivered_to = 1 # Don't add a Delivered-To: header for this mailbox
>
> where port 8111 is a local stunnel daemon pointing at the pop3s port on the
> remote system.

thanks for conf file, helped to improve mine

> this is all completely off topic for exim as exim really has nothing to do
> with it, and probably should be discussed on the getmail list instead.

sorry, but the getmail list is quite dead (already looked at it several
times), I of course RTFMed, and send an email to the creator of getmail
several days ago, without any feedback yet.

I do apologize for the long post and the trouble i can cause.
Don't want to annoy anyone, but only get a little help.
maybe some french users are wandering here, a post in my native language
would make things easier.

Thanks for all anyway

--
Laurent DARRAMBIDE, France
Debian Sid, Kernel 2.4.18
Re[2]: Using exim with getmail [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:16:50 +0200 Laurent DARRAMBIDE <ldarrambide-exim@lautre.net> wrote:

> > i'm a little baffled at what Laurent is trying to do here.

> very sad not beeing understood.really :-((
> I think I must blame my english skills.

well, somehow i missed your original post and so was guessing to some degree.

Laurent's fetchmail command to deliver to exim:

> POP <-- fetchmail --> exim (filter) --> mbox : easy to do using
> mta="/usr/sbin/exim -Y -d %T" in fetchmailrc

> discovered getmail, far more convenient for me:

getmail is a much simpler program than fetchmail, and it covers 98% of what
folks use fetchmail for with a great deal less pain and agony.

> POP <-- getmail --> mbox : OK
> POP <-- getmail --> procmail + Spamassassin {filtering} --> mbox : OK
> POP <-- getmail -x-> exim {filtering} -x-> mbox : FAILURE
>
> so how to : transmit mails collected by getmail to exim for filtering
> them. In other word, what's the trick to get getmail delivering mail to
> exim through a pipe to get the mail filtered ???
> sorry, but the getmail list is quite dead (already looked at it several
> times), I of course RTFMed, and send an email to the creator of getmail
> several days ago, without any feedback yet.

there is a good discussion of piping fetchmail output at

http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/docs.html#delivery-targets

among other things, getmail won't deliver to an external program (which is
what you want) when it runs as root. it also considers an external program
sending to stderr an error indication.

there are also some issues with quoting whitespace.

richard