Mailing List Archive

connection refused on alcatel.co.uk
I have a connection refused on mail.alcatel.co.uk but when I telnet to the
server I get a line from sendmail so the server is up.

Now I do have a bit of a weird setup, so it might be normal to refuse it.

First of all, I've given the server a different name with dyndns. So my IP has
two names. The normal name from the provider and my dyndns-name.

Second, I use fetchmail to collect mail from a different server and maildrop to
mine. For that domain I've build an alias-list. The e-mail address the sender
used isn't in the alias-list and so it's bounced. Very normal indeed, because
it isn't intended for anybody on the domain I fetched from, so the sender used
the wrong domain. (on the domain I fetch from are only 6 users, I know them all
personaly...)

Now Exim is sending a bounce-message to the original sender. And the mailserver
of the sender is refusing the connection.

Why? can it because it's a bounce-message? can it be that the mailserver can't
figure out the dns-name? or can it be something else?

Daniel

---
http://www.theseend.net/ or http://crash.to/acaac
ICQ@6335056
---
Don't just do something, stand there!
Re: connection refused on alcatel.co.uk [ In reply to ]
> I have a connection refused on mail.alcatel.co.uk but when I telnet to the
> server I get a line from sendmail so the server is up.
>
> Now I do have a bit of a weird setup, so it might be normal to refuse it.
>
> First of all, I've given the server a different name with dyndns. So my IP
has
> two names. The normal name from the provider and my dyndns-name.
>
> Second, I use fetchmail to collect mail from a different server and
maildrop to
> mine. For that domain I've build an alias-list. The e-mail address the
sender
> used isn't in the alias-list and so it's bounced. Very normal indeed,
because
> it isn't intended for anybody on the domain I fetched from, so the sender
used
> the wrong domain. (on the domain I fetch from are only 6 users, I know
them all
> personaly...)
>
> Now Exim is sending a bounce-message to the original sender. And the
mailserver
> of the sender is refusing the connection.
>
> Why? can it because it's a bounce-message? can it be that the mailserver
can't
> figure out the dns-name? or can it be something else?
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

Sounds very strange. If you are getting a genuine "connection refused" at
the
TCP layer, ie. an ICMP back from their system when you try and connect
but don't when you telnet then:

a) how could they have known that you message was a bounce *before*
you even tried to send it

b) could they be running some special sort of 'tcp wrappers' functionality -
maybe in a firewall? possible...

c) did you telnet to them from the same machine as your outgoing exim
delivery that fails? I had a problem on a Linux box with TCP Explicit
Congestion Notification (ECN) enabled that was being refused by certain
Sun boxes that had the Sun TCP Strong IP security installed/enabled
(can't remember the exact details)

Think that you should use TCP Dump or similar to see what's really
going on.

Mike
Re: connection refused on alcatel.co.uk [ In reply to ]
Om 13:30 op de dag 22 Jul 2002 digitaliseerde Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) het
volgende:

> Daniel,
>
> c) did you telnet to them from the same machine as your outgoing exim
> delivery that fails? I had a problem on a Linux box with TCP Explicit
> Congestion Notification (ECN) enabled that was being refused by certain
> Sun boxes that had the Sun TCP Strong IP security installed/enabled
> (can't remember the exact details)

I did a telnet from my windowsmachine. My linux works as a
firewall/gateway/mailserver/etc. So yes from the same IP.

> Think that you should use TCP Dump or similar to see what's really
> going on.

I managed to set up Suse, I managed to setup exim, I managed to setup a
firewall/gateway. But that took me ages. I'm not at all familiar with linux so
please explain how I would even setup a TCP dump.

I have ethereal to see wants going on on my ethernetcards but that's it.

I've read in the archives something about a verbose mode. What does that do?

Daniel
---