having to setup exim or sendmail on my web server.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Re: Newbie: Mail relay [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, andrew mouawad wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I would like to be able to have cgi scripts running on my web server and use
> FormMail.pl, however I don't know how to get my web server to forward or
> relay the mail to the mail server and the mail server to read that file and
> email it to the nominated address. I would prefer to do this instead of
> having to setup exim or sendmail on my web server.

You'd have to rewrite formmail then - afaik it only supports calling a
sendmail-type interface on the local machine. You might want to check
into nullmailer, which gives that interface but just makes an SMTP call.

Note that formmail has a SPAM security hole big enough to drive a truck
through, there is an update that adds a list of 'authorized recpients'
that is the only good solution to this.

Also note that cgi scripts dont call formmail.pl, it *is* a cgi script
itself.
Re: Newbie: Mail relay [ In reply to ]
--
On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 06:04:26PM +1000, andrew mouawad wrote:

| I would like to be able to have cgi scripts running on my web server and use
| FormMail.pl,

Use 'cgiemail' instead. It is secure (not a big SPAM hole), and
allows you to do much better formatting of the data that will be
returned (both to the web user and to the person receiving the email).

| however I don't know how to get my web server to forward or
| relay the mail to the mail server

You use a mail server (which is an SMTP client) to send mail from one
machine to another.

| I would prefer to do this instead of having to setup exim or
| sendmail on my web server.

Check out ssmtp (which I have used on a windows machine) or
nullmailer.

-D

--
The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/