Mailing List Archive

Exim4: semantic checks with '-bV'?
Hello,

I noticed late on Friday that some of our systems running Exim 4 had in
their configure file:

host_lookup = ! local_hosts

Whilst this 'looks' okay and passes the '-bV' syntax check, it in fact
should have been:

host_lookup = ! +local_hosts

In that respect the option was doing host lookups for all hosts since we
don't have a host named 'local_hosts'!

Is it possible to incorporate a little semantic check of literal names
to see if they have also been declared as a hostlist, domainlist, etc?

Regards,

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@plymouth.ac.uk
Re: Exim4: semantic checks with '-bV'? [ In reply to ]
On 20 Jul 2002, John Horne wrote:

> host_lookup = ! local_hosts
>
> Whilst this 'looks' okay and passes the '-bV' syntax check, it in fact
> should have been:
>
> host_lookup = ! +local_hosts

> Is it possible to incorporate a little semantic check of literal names
> to see if they have also been declared as a hostlist, domainlist, etc?

Yes, but I don't think this should be in the normal path, as Exim would
then be doing this check again and again and again, which seems to me to
be wasteful. However, it could be incorporated into something like the
-bV check, I guess. I'll need to think about this.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.