Mailing List Archive

FW: first contact...
>From: Cellule Internet EAI [mailto:ch045-2@dial.oleane.com]
>
>I am a new french user of exim (so, excuse my poor english...).
>Just two little questions (to begin):
>1. I would like to use exim with user account especially
>created for it.
>I us the command "useradd -g mail -p my pass -s /bin/false user1".
>I would like no create the home directory (/home/user1)
>because it seem not
>to be essential and i run 200 to 300 mail account on the server..
>But exim don't recognize the new user (in the log it say that
>it didn't stat
>the home directory...).

I can answer question (1) (which is really about unix): Despite what you think, it is *essential* to create a home directory for the exim user. That is what the error message says: "cannot stat the home directory" ("stat" means to get the inode and path information about the directory - this will fail if the directory doesn't exist).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle
Re: FW: first contact... [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 16 Jul 2002 9:07 am, Boyle Owen wrote:

> I can answer question (1) (which is really about unix): Despite what you
> think, it is *essential* to create a home directory for the exim user. That

Even if it's just /tmp or something similar. Personaly I just make it's home
directory something like /usr/local/exim and install all the exim files under
that; except when I'm configuring it on a freebsd box then I just trust in
the ports entry :)

--
Chris "_Shad0w_" Crowther
chrisc@shad0w.org.uk