James Harr
PS - I don't care whether it is a blackbox approach or not, I just want
something that works and isn't a half-assed setup.
Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, James Harr wrote:

> I've seen proprietary setups for users like:
> /home/fubar/etc/passwd
> All the uids are set to the same thing as fubar's uid (an actual system
> account).

what could be proprietary in such a setup ?

> Then they use a proprietary pop3/smtp server to retreive email (by using a
> full email address for logins).
>
> Any idea on an equivalent?

do the equivalent. users in mysql, all sharing one system account,
courier-pop as popserver, one transport and one director in exim (and
that already includes fancy features such as forwarding, multi-drop
boxen, groupmails, everything. at least, everything i could thought
of.

i don't quite see the problem. take a piece of paper and a pen, throw
away the keyboard, and sketch your dream setup. then go back to the
keyboard and try to implement it. at least, that's what i think the
route should be - you seem to be going the opposite direction. i bet
you don't even know where your pen is ;>

--
[-]
Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 13 Jul 2002 9:25 pm, James Harr wrote:

> Then they use a proprietary pop3/smtp server to retreive email (by using a
> full email address for logins).
>
> Any idea on an equivalent?

I personaly use vmail-sql, which uses mySQL for storing the virtual users;
and then tpop3d which is by the same person for accessing the pop3 boxes for
the users, it uses the full e-mail address login method you mentioned.

vmail-sql is at http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/vmail-sql/
tpop3d is at http://www.ex-parrot.com/~chris/tpop3d/

--
Chris "_Shad0w_" Crowther
chrisc@shad0w.org.uk
Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
> PS - I don't care whether it is a blackbox approach or not, I just want
> something that works and isn't a half-assed setup.

You might want to look at XAMS (www.xams.org) its a pretty neat solution for
Exim + Courier + mySQL. As for myself, i (as of yet) stick to a homebrewed
concoction of Exim + Courier + mySQL + Zope
Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
Lo,

I use exim+tpop3d...

Everything completely MySQL driven, and I don't use local deliveries at all
(mail recipients for which there are a account on the server). My primary
domain name, is also setup as a virtual host, and goes into the same fashion
as the rest of the domains as listed below.

All mail goes to /var/spool/mail/(.primary|.secondary)/xx/(domain
name)/(user name)
or, /var/mail/spool/.primary/ab/abc.com/username for example.

tpop3d picks up the mail, and delivers it to the user via a user@domain
authentication method, while authentication without a (@|!|:)domain part
defaults to my primary domain name. Secondary MX mail (backups) are stored
in BSMTP under mail/.secondary/(domain) and re-injected once the host is
back online (which is checked by different software and more MySQL
jargon(tm)). Of the few ten thousand users I currently host on a few
thousand domains, not one single ${local_part} has a account on my server(s)
for mail access. Everything's done under generic UID/GIDs which only Exim
and tpop3d can access, whilst all authentication, management, routing and
directing happens from generic MySQL databases configured and managed by my
customers... Furthermore, I've also implemented some generic stuff, such as
virus scanning, mailing lists, aliasfiles, rbl, SSL, authentication, pop b4
smtp, etc.

It works pretty neat, and I do allot of additional MySQL jargon(tm) such as
blocking senders based on specific recipients and all kinds of stuff. Even
aliases and forwarders (originally the .forward files) are managed through
MySQL jargon(tm) which is in return, all setup in a nice little PHP
interface allowing my customers to manage their email, *click* Just like
that!

I'd definitely have to take my hat of to Philip for the excellent platform
(exim) to implement such awesome mailing systems on. I'm hooked on Exim
till the day I die!

--
me

details at http://www.exim.org/ ##

Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
> i don't quite see the problem. take a piece of paper and a pen, throw
> away the keyboard, and sketch your dream setup. then go back to the
> keyboard and try to implement it. at least, that's what i think the
> route should be - you seem to be going the opposite direction. i bet
> you don't even know where your pen is ;>

You don't see the problem, because there isn't one ;-)

I think he was just a tad curious as to what *other* people has decided on
implementing for v-hosts with exim.... The nosy bugger, we should shoot
him -efg- j/k

--
me
Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
At 15:25 -0500 13/7/02, James Harr wrote:

>I've been searching for some virtual-hosting solutions. Something where I
>don't have to worry about mapping virtual users to local users.
>
>I've seen proprietary setups for users like:
>/home/fubar/etc/passwd
>All the uids are set to the same thing as fubar's uid (an actual system
>account).
>
>Then they use a proprietary pop3/smtp server to retreive email (by using a
>full email address for logins).

Yeah, I do the equivalent. Everyone else seems to use MySQL, I've
never gotten around to learning it, and have just a small system, so
I just use a lookup file with passwords:

ACL:

localuser:
driver = accept
local_parts = lsearch;/Users/exim/perlpop/poppasswd
transport = local_delivery

Transport:

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
file = /var/mail/$local_part
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
user = exim
mode = 0660

I also have a little perl script that handles the pop server, and
another perl script that handles password changing (anyone who wants
these servers is welcome to them, I just haven't quite got around to
making them available yet).

Enjoy,
Peter.

--
<http://www.interarchy.com/> <http://download.interarchy.com/>
Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, James Harr wrote:

> I've seen proprietary setups for users like:
> /home/fubar/etc/passwd
> All the uids are set to the same thing as fubar's uid (an actual system
> account).
>
> Then they use a proprietary pop3/smtp server to retreive email (by using a
> full email address for logins).

Have a look at vm-pop3d; no database needed; you can also use it without
any superuser (root) privileges if used via inetd (xinetd or similar).
http://www.reedmedia.net/software/virtualmail-pop3d/

Looking at a dictionary for "proprietary" I see many definitions: vm-pop3d
does use different locations for the virtual users than normal mail setups
-- but it does fall back to standards (like _PATH_MAILDIR, PAM,
getpwnam(3)) and, anyways, the source code is available and modifiable. So
you are not at the mercy of the vendor :) Also commercial support can be
provided.

Jeremy C. Reed
http://www.isp-faq.com/
Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the suggestion, but I really need an imap server more than
anything. I could do without it, but I really don't want to :D

As far as mysql, I got courier-imap up on it, but as far as exim4, I am
lost. (see another post).

Thanks again,
jh

Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
Just go through the spec file.

Exim allows for Maildir delivery, which is what imap uses.

There's allot of people on this list for that matter that uses exim in
Maildir delivery scenario's with allot of success. Play around with it,
have a look at the documentation, and when you have a specific question to
ask, post it to the list.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you when you have a specific problem.

--
me

details at http://www.exim.org/ ##

Re: Virtual Host woes [ In reply to ]
I would, except I already have a database, and besides /etc/passwd is a
database (technically) :P

Plus mysql is easier to maintain when large imho.