Mailing List Archive

Exim-4.05 on RedHat 7.3 (i386)
So, I finally got round to upgrading from Exim-3.36 to Exim-4.05.

Built 4.05 on my box (homebrew i386 box with RedHat 7.3) and it
compiled and installed just fine. However it wouldn't work with the
converted exim-3 config file... so I stripped the system out, deleted
all log files from /var/spool/exim/log and removed all traces of exim-3.

I installed the default exim-4 /usr/exim/configure file and have the
same problem: when I run it in test mode with:

exim -bt
or
exim -d -bt

it runs fine and tells me what it would do with various addresses,
does dns lookups, etc. just as expected. However, when I run it with:

exim -bd -q15m

it just vanishes from the system without even writing a log entry
anywhere, like its immediately calling exit(0).

Anyon got any ideas?

Mike

Re: Exim-4.05 on RedHat 7.3 (i386) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) G8TIC wrote:

> So, I finally got round to upgrading from Exim-3.36 to Exim-4.05.
>
> Built 4.05 on my box (homebrew i386 box with RedHat 7.3) and it
> compiled and installed just fine. However it wouldn't work with the
> converted exim-3 config file... so I stripped the system out, deleted
> all log files from /var/spool/exim/log and removed all traces of exim-3.
>
> I installed the default exim-4 /usr/exim/configure file and have the
> same problem: when I run it in test mode with:
>
> exim -bt
> or
> exim -d -bt
>
> it runs fine and tells me what it would do with various addresses,
> does dns lookups, etc. just as expected. However, when I run it with:
>
> exim -bd -q15m
>
> it just vanishes from the system without even writing a log entry
> anywhere, like its immediately calling exit(0).
>
> Anyon got any ideas?

Where are you looking for log entries? exim doesnt by default send
anything to syslog (/var/log/messages, etc) - it uses its own logfiles.

Does it show up in ps? Can you telnet to port 25?

Try running exim -d -bd -q15m and see if it outputs any diagnostics

Re: Exim-4.05 on RedHat 7.3 (i386) [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) G8TIC wrote:

> it runs fine and tells me what it would do with various addresses,
> does dns lookups, etc. just as expected. However, when I run it with:
>
> exim -bd -q15m
>
> it just vanishes from the system without even writing a log entry
> anywhere, like its immediately calling exit(0).

A Guess: You have set log_file_path to come non-default path. Check that
the user "exim" is able to write to that directory. (It should be
complaining on syslog if it can't.) Using -d should also tell you this.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.