stuck with MSN is that they block your access to smtp alltogether and
allow connections to 25 only to their servers...

Get your own FREE Web and POP E-mail Service in 14 languages at http://www.zzn.com.
Re: SPA again [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Kurktchiev, Boris wrote:

> ok i guess i didn't explain what i need. someone said that exim has
> spa as client only and that the author of the code needed it so
> because he didn't want a ms client(i read the mailing list archives
> while looking for a way to configure this thing and use it) well i am
> in the same situation i am running slackware 8.1, exim 4.05 and i am
> stuck with MSN and their SPA enabled smtp server. now exim supports
> SPA right? so how do i configure it so it would actually use it and
> connect to smtp.email.msn.com and send my mail. the problem with being
> stuck with MSN is that they block your access to smtp alltogether and
> allow connections to 25 only to their servers...

1. Have you tried reading section 35 of the exim 4.x spec, which
actually includes a sample configuration specifically for MSN? It doesnt
sound like you did.

2. You could instead perhaps arrange for mail relay service with another
sensible entity on the Internet somewhere that supports RFC 2476
(message submission) on its assigned port 587 (which hopefully MSN isnt
blocking)
RE: SPA again [ In reply to ]
i did read that and that is only the way to setup the SPA
authenticator. i have that in my config. however i cannot figure out
how to tell exim to use that authenticator when logging in the SPA
enabled server(not exim but MSN's smtp server...).

Get your own FREE Web and POP E-mail Service in 14 languages at http://www.zzn.com.
Re: SPA again [ In reply to ]
--
On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 12:58:34AM -0400, Kurktchiev, Boris wrote:
| i did read that and that is only the way to setup the SPA
| authenticator. i have that in my config. however i cannot figure out
| how to tell exim to use that authenticator when logging in the SPA
| enabled server(not exim but MSN's smtp server...).

I don't have an example in my current exim4 config, but my old exim3
config had this transport:

remote_smtp:
driver = smtp
authenticate_hosts = mail.rit.edu

The third line is the key. Find the equivalent in the exim4 spec.

-D

--

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

RE: SPA again [ In reply to ]
well i found that authenticate_hosts option too however it does not
work in exim4 AND the exim4 documentation does not mention it.. so i
am in a kind of a big loss. i use the send_to_gateway option to
redirect the mail to the MSN smtp server and i have the msn
authenticator setup however i can't find an equivalent option to to
authenticate_hosts one in exim4 (and exim3 does not support SPA so... )

Get your own FREE Web and POP E-mail Service in 14 languages at http://www.zzn.com.
Re: RE: SPA again [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Kurktchiev, Boris wrote:

> well i found that authenticate_hosts option too however it does not
> work in exim4 AND the exim4 documentation does not mention it.. so i
> am in a kind of a big loss. i use the send_to_gateway option to
> redirect the mail to the MSN smtp server and i have the msn
> authenticator setup however i can't find an equivalent option to to
> authenticate_hosts one in exim4 (and exim3 does not support SPA so... )

You must not be reading the same spec.txt that I am

From 29.3 of spec.txt:

hosts_require_auth Type: host list* Default: unset

This option provides a list of servers for which authentication must
succeed before Exim will try to transfer a message. If authentication
fails for servers which are not in this list, Exim tries to send
unauthenticated. If authentication fails for one of these servers,
delivery is deferred. This temporary error is detectable in the retry
rules, so it can be turned into a hard failure if required. See also
"hosts_try_auth", and chapter 32 for details of authentication.

Re: RE: SPA again [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Kurktchiev, Boris wrote:

> well i found that authenticate_hosts option too however it does not
> work in exim4 AND the exim4 documentation does not mention it.. so i
> am in a kind of a big loss. i use the send_to_gateway option to
> redirect the mail to the MSN smtp server and i have the msn
> authenticator setup however i can't find an equivalent option to to
> authenticate_hosts one in exim4 (and exim3 does not support SPA so... )

authenticate_hosts in Exim 3 is an option you set on the server, to
require incoming hosts to authenticate. In Exim 4, this is replaced by
suitable statements in an ACL.

But this isn't relevant to you. You want a *client* Exim to
authenticate. The options are hosts_require_auth and hosts_try_auth in
the smtp transport. Then you must also define a suitable authenticator.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.