Mailing List Archive

[OT] Re: Using sender_address_relay
On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:28:16PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Alistair Knight wrote:
>
> [reformatted to shorter lines]
>
> > I am currently using 'sender_address_relay' to control relaying,
>
> Not a good idea. Sender addresses are trivially forged. I wonder if
> spammers read this list and pick up admissions like that?

I would doubt it - that requires some modicum of effort on their part.

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
ollie@uk.clara.net 020 7903 3065
Re[2]: Using sender_address_relay [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:50:42 +0100 Ollie Cook <ollie@uk.clara.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:28:16PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Alistair Knight wrote:
> >
> > [reformatted to shorter lines]
> >
> > > I am currently using 'sender_address_relay' to control relaying,
> >
> > Not a good idea. Sender addresses are trivially forged. I wonder if
> > spammers read this list and pick up admissions like that?
>
> I would doubt it - that requires some modicum of effort on their part.

but ... i see frequent relay attempts off of my server, forging my own
email address and those of customers into MAIL FROM:

in other words, spammers frequently look for weak efforts at relay control.
just don't use that method; it will bite you in the ass eventually whether
you admit it in public or not.

richard
--
Richard Welty