be used to deliver a virus?

Thanks,

Dave
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, David Snowden wrote:

> We have been using the filter (currently version 0.17) for a while,
> but we are starting to come up with cases where remote sites are objecting
> to us rejecting attachments with certain extensions (eg .eml).
>
> Is the list of extensions based on known viruses, or on
> extensions which could potentially be used for viruses?

mostly the latter i suppose.

> Would it be possible for an attachment with a .eml suffix to
> be used to deliver a virus?

yes. even an mp3 can be used for that...

--
[-]
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 02:35:56PM +0100, David Snowden wrote:
> Is the list of extensions based on known viruses, or on
> extensions which could potentially be used for viruses?

A mixture of the two, AIUI.

> Would it be possible for an attachment with a .eml suffix to
> be used to deliver a virus?

Yes, and indeed, this was one of the vectors for CodeRed propagation (or
was it Nimda, I forget). It was the one that had about 5 vectors. Including
attaching the .eml file, or downloading it from the infected website.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick <mbm@colondot.net> http://colondot.net/
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
David,

At 14:35 (GMT+0100) on 21-June-2002, David Snowden wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What happened to the virus filter that used to be available via a
> link from the Exim home page?

There has been some discussion about the filter (check out the mail
archives
http://www.exim.org/maillist.html
) but I have a version that I posted to the list in May (see
http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20020513/038821.html
).

> We have been using the filter (currently version 0.17) for a while,
> but we are starting to come up with cases where remote sites are objecting
> to us rejecting attachments with certain extensions (eg .eml).

.eml are Outlook mail attachments, and can be used to propogate
viruses, so I would always treat them as suspect.

> Is the list of extensions based on known viruses, or on
> extensions which could potentially be used for viruses?

Extensions that can contain executables, and are known to be used by
viruses. Of course if you were being strict you could add the Office
extensions to the list to block macro viruses;-).

> Would it be possible for an attachment with a .eml suffix to
> be used to deliver a virus?

Yes.

I hope this helps,

Douglas.

--

================================
Douglas GRAY STEPHENS

Phone +44 1223 325295
Mobile +44 773 0051628
Fax +44 1223 311830
Email DGrayStephens@slb.com
================================
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:35, David Snowden wrote:
> What happened to the virus filter that used to be available via a
> link from the Exim home page?

The link fell off when I tidied up old material - shame its not linked
from elsewhere. I've reinstated it now.

Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]
[. - Comments in this message are my own and not ITO opinion/policy - ]
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
At 20:53 +0100 Nigel Metheringham wrote:

>The link fell off when I tidied up old material - shame its not linked
>from elsewhere. I've reinstated it now.

Only marginally related, but in the list of sample configs it'd be IMHO
rather useful to include some sample local_scan() functions, as even if
they weren't relevant to individual postmasters' needs, they'd provide a
useful starting point for one to write one's own!

Matt (*not* blowing his own trumpet--mine's not good enough!)
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
On 23 Jun 2002, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> > What happened to the virus filter that used to be available via a
> > link from the Exim home page?
>
> The link fell off when I tidied up old material - shame its not linked
> from elsewhere. I've reinstated it now.

And here was I, modifying my slides for this week's Exim course, because
I thought you had dropped it deliberately. Luckily I've seen your
posting just in time to re-modify... :-)

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 08:51, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2002, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> > > What happened to the virus filter that used to be available via a
> > > link from the Exim home page?
> >
> > The link fell off when I tidied up old material - shame its not linked
> > from elsewhere. I've reinstated it now.
>
> And here was I, modifying my slides for this week's Exim course, because
> I thought you had dropped it deliberately. Luckily I've seen your
> posting just in time to re-modify... :-)

Its still not exactly a recommended or supported scheme - MIME is just
too strange to handle this way. I guess building a very simple MIME
parser to pick up filenames within a local_scan would not be too hard.

Nigel.
Re: virus filter [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 mb@dcs.qmul.ac.uk wrote:

> Only marginally related, but in the list of sample configs it'd be IMHO
> rather useful to include some sample local_scan() functions, as even if
> they weren't relevant to individual postmasters' needs, they'd provide a
> useful starting point for one to write one's own!

Nobody has yet offered me one....