I found it interesting that webmin came with modules for postfix,
sendmail, and qmail, but nothing for exim....
--
Re: WebMin Module... [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Cory Daehn wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a webmin module written for exim somewhere?
> I found it interesting that webmin came with modules for postfix,
> sendmail, and qmail, but nothing for exim....
> --

Look in the archives.

The consensus is (or was, I've been away for a while) that running
any MTA is a skilled job, and that a point and click interface
doesn't really help.
If you understand the subtleties of the questions, and how they
relate to your individual circumstances, then you can cope with
exim's plain text configuration file. If you don't understand them,
then a GUI just makes it easier to produce wonderfully broken
or inappropriate configs.

Given that exim is still evolving, it would be a continuous job
to keep webmin in step with exim features and documentation.
Unless we had another Phil Hazel just to do that, I think the
quality of the webmin module would be much lower than that of exim,
which would benefit no-one.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna
RE: WebMin Module... [ In reply to ]
Actually, I'm more interested in the ability to configure the alias,
relay, etc information than I am in the major things. I have a
"co-user" who is basically inept and unattainable when it comes to
Linux. He barely manages to figure things out using Linuxconf and
prefers webmin. I basically don't want him mucking around on my Linux
box with a text editor and root privileges... { In fact, I wouldn't let
him touch the box at all if he didn't own it. ;-) } Who knows what
he'll screw up. But if he can edit the basic information using webmin,
that's great for me when I don't have time to make simple changes.

In a perfect world, we could require licenses to use computers.
Unfortunately the majority of the computer users aren't those in control
of such things. Until then, we must deal with having kludges in place.

Re: WebMin Module... [ In reply to ]
Quoth Cory Daehn on Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 04:20:42 -0500
> In a perfect world, we could require licenses to use computers.
> Unfortunately the majority of the computer users aren't those in control
> of such things. Until then, we must deal with having kludges in place.

Please can you look at the archives and not post something that has been
discused to death and back?

If you are really intrested in a web-interface to exim, why don't you
code it yourself? You'll soon realise why it has never been done before.

--
yann@kierun.org -=*=- www.kierun.org
PGP: www.kierun.org/pgp/key-kierun
Re: WebMin Module... [ In reply to ]
|If you are really intrested in a web-interface to exim, why don't you
|code it yourself? You'll soon realise why it has never been done before.

oh how friendly they are......
please can you notice that not all exim users are hardcoreprogrammers drinking 10l of coffee and smoking 4
packs of tabac a night......

:(( volker

Re: WebMin Module... [ In reply to ]
--
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 04:20:42AM -0500, Cory Daehn wrote:
| Actually, I'm more interested in the ability to configure the alias,
| relay, etc information than I am in the major things. I have a
| "co-user" who is basically inept and unattainable when it comes to
| Linux.

Ahh, ok, I see what you need. You can put the alias, relay, etc lists
into separate files (not directly in exim.conf) or databases and let
your co-admin modify those directly. Then use the appropriate lookup
mechanisms for exim to retrieve the data from the external sources.
In fact, if you put the data in a database of some sort, then you
could fairly easily knock together some cgi scripts to provide a web
interface to it. (that really does need to be custom code since your
db schema is custom as well :-))

HTH,
-D

--

If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His
Word has no place in our lives.

Re: WebMin Module... [ In reply to ]
Cory Daehn wrote:

>Actually, I'm more interested in the ability to configure the alias,
>relay, etc information than I am in the major things. I have a
>"co-user" who is basically inept and unattainable when it comes to
>Linux. He barely manages to figure things out using Linuxconf and
>prefers webmin. I basically don't want him mucking around on my Linux
>box with a text editor and root privileges... { In fact, I wouldn't let
>him touch the box at all if he didn't own it. ;-) } Who knows what
>he'll screw up. But if he can edit the basic information using webmin,
>that's great for me when I don't have time to make simple changes.

http://www.spaceout.com/products/dbspace/

You might have a look at the product listed above. It has absolutely
nothing to do with exim or webmin. What it does provide is a fully
configurable flat file database.

The contents of the fle created look as follows:

admin|2/4/2002 at 20:12:54|Dr|G|James|Brown|1/1/2002|james|

I am sure that you could easily configure it such that field one is ip
address field two is reason why blocked, it might be an easier option
that writing your own interface to files.

The database will allow different users different access levels.

It is also free.

Kind regards
Xander

Re: WebMin Module... [ In reply to ]
Hi there,
in fact there is a module for eximon which can help you to do some maintenance
tasks, clean up queue or so.
That should fit to your first task.

The aliases file can be done via sendmail module since its likely the same file
you are using.

bye,
jochen

--