Backup Exec 9.0 from Veritas send folloving:

MAIL FROM: <"BE90" <backupexec@efore.fi>>

and Exim responds like this:

501 <"BE90" <backupexec@efore.fi>>: "@" or "." expected after ""BE90""

Is there any way to tell Exim to accept that as I dont believe that
the people at Veritas will fix their crap.

Cheers..
Lauri
Re: Bad data from mailer [ In reply to ]
--
On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:13:06AM +0300, Lauri Tischler wrote:
| Our backup software sends notifications via smtp,
| naturally they dont work.
| Snooping with tcpdump I was able to find out following.
|
| Backup Exec 9.0 from Veritas send folloving:
|
| MAIL FROM: <"BE90" <backupexec@efore.fi>>
|
| and Exim responds like this:
|
| 501 <"BE90" <backupexec@efore.fi>>: "@" or "." expected after ""BE90""
|
| Is there any way to tell Exim to accept that as I dont believe that
| the people at Veritas will fix their crap.

I don't think so, because that's not SMTP.

Can you try to direct the backup software vendor to RFC 2821 (or even
821)?

As a semi-non-solution, you could write your own SMTP proxy that
simply looks for that pattern and strips off the bogus junk but
otherwise just passes everything from the input socket to a socket
connected to exim (and vice versa). (or, if you really want to,
modify your copy of exim to strip off that bogus junk)

-D

--

I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave
has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.

Re: Bad data from mailer [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> MAIL FROM: <"BE90" <backupexec@efore.fi>>
>
> and Exim responds like this:
>
> 501 <"BE90" <backupexec@efore.fi>>: "@" or "." expected after ""BE90""
>
> Is there any way to tell Exim to accept that as I dont believe that
> the people at Veritas will fix their crap.

Check out the "S" flag for rewriting rules. It allows you to rewrite
malformed addresses in SMTP commands before they are processed.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service,
ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
Re: Bad data from mailer [ In reply to ]
Philip Hazel wrote:

> Check out the "S" flag for rewriting rules. It allows you to rewrite
> malformed addresses in SMTP commands before they are processed.

Ahhh... regular expression... Thank you Philip :)
Being unable to lay myself upon sacrificial virgin I setlled for
grilled chicken and a dog.
Fortunately Veritas did fix their crap, so dog and I just had a meal.
Cheers..
--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin
Tel: +358-9-47846331 * Mouse movement detected *