Mailing List Archive

Outlook AUTH + TLS on a non-standard port
This may be too obscure for a sane person's interest. But by now I'm not
only frustrated but really curious as to why this doesn't work.

I have Exim 4.02 happily servicing Outlook 2000's "outbound messages" using
both SMTP AUTH and TLS on port 25. Motivated by a friend whose ISP appears
to be blocking port 25, I tried running the same Exim config on port 23 (we
don't use telnet anyway). Then I changed the value for Outlook's outgoing
mail server port. Simple enough, right? Now I suddenly get connection
failure errors in Outlook when I try to send out mail. Nothing ever hits
my linux box (or exim's logs). Outlook just prints its generic "Account:
foo, Server: outbound, Port: 23, SSL: Yes" message but with no specific
error. Well, I think it may say something like "Socket Error: 110110" (I
just made that number up).

Interestingly enough, Outlook --> Exim works on port 23 if I disable
outbound SSL/TLS. Could Outlook have something hard-coded to port 25 for
SSL even though they give you the option to change it? Does anyone have
experience with this? I've tried running Exim on 25 and port forwarding
something else to it. But the problem consistently appears to be on the
desktop side.

Confused,
-R

--
Rick Ennis
Re: Outlook AUTH + TLS on a non-standard port [ In reply to ]
At 01:50 -0400 Rick Ennis wrote:

>Interestingly enough, Outlook --> Exim works on port 23 if I disable
>outbound SSL/TLS. Could Outlook have something hard-coded to port 25 for
>SSL even though they give you the option to change it? Does anyone have
>experience with this? I've tried running Exim on 25 and port forwarding
>something else to it. But the problem consistently appears to be on the
>desktop side.

This is little more than a guess, but it may be the difference between
SMTP STARTTLS and "ssmtp", the kind of thing Exim can do when wrapped in
an stunnel (though remember to require SMTP in this case).

You could try the stunnel listening on port 465. Or maybe try tcp/587
which is the "submission" port. Maybe, just maybe, Outlook will talk
"real" SMTP to 587.

Matt
Re: Outlook AUTH + TLS on a non-standard port [ In reply to ]
At 13:33 +0100 Matt Bernstein wrote:

>This is little more than a guess, but it may be the difference between
>SMTP STARTTLS and "ssmtp", the kind of thing Exim can do when wrapped in
>an stunnel (though remember to require SMTP in this case).

Of course I meant SMTP AUTH; I'm too tired to tink today :-/
Re: Outlook AUTH + TLS on a non-standard port [ In reply to ]
Aha! Excellent! My first thought on seeing your message was "thank god
someone else has seen this." And now after perusing it and trying to
implement everything, it works beautifully! Thank you for explaining
all that. Searching the Exim docs (and list) I can't figure out how to
configure the SMTPS part. So I just went with stunnel like you
suggested. Works like a charm. Thanks again! Finally I can stop
pounding my head against this one!

Rick

--
Rick Ennis
ennis@egwpartners.com
Re: Outlook AUTH + TLS on a non-standard port [ In reply to ]
Hello, I don't have experience on SSL but I have extensively dealt with AOL and other ISP's hijacking port 25. My experience has been that all port below 1024 are hijack at point or another with the exclusion of 110.

I got around this by using a port above 30,000. Please let me know if this helps.

--
Rick Ennis
ennis@egwpartners.com

--

--- [ Tanaya/Exim/Antiviral ] ---
This message has been scanned with INOCULATE, H+BEDV AntiVir, and F-PROT
Re: Outlook AUTH + TLS on a non-standard port [ In reply to ]
Actually port 465 worked for me. I guess I got lucky in this particular
ISP only having an issue with 25. ...and with Outlook only considering
25 "special."

Thanks though.