I'm thinking of stuff like this that might come from a badly written gateway:

From: fred at example.com
Date: Tuesday, 28 Nov 2023 18:17:05 GMT

R's,
John

Re: What does exim do with malformed messages? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 29 Nov 2023, John R Levine via Exim-users wrote:

> If a malformed mail message shows up by SMTP (not local sendmail or
> submission),
> will exim generally try to clean it up or just pass it along?
>
> I see the discussion of submission mode in chapter 48 of the manual and all
> the
> options about when to run it and what to tell it to do, but in practice, will
> typical system clean everything up, just locally submitted stuff, or
> soemthing
> else? Tnx.
>
> I'm thinking of stuff like this that might come from a badly written gateway:
>
> From: fred at example.com
> Date: Tuesday, 28 Nov 2023 18:17:05 GMT
>
> R's,
> John

If I remember correctly, the basic philosophy is to
pass it along, but there are places where particular
headers do get sanitised or missing headers added.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: What does exim do with malformed messages? [ In reply to ]
On 11/29/23 15:42, John R Levine via Exim-users wrote:
> If a malformed mail message shows up by SMTP (not local sendmail or submission),
> will exim generally try to clean it up or just pass it along?
>
> I see the discussion of submission mode in chapter 48 of the manual and all the
> options about when to run it and what to tell it to do, but in practice, will a
> typical system clean everything up, just locally submitted stuff, or soemthing
> else? Tnx.

Exim's submission mode is set on a per-message basis
under the control of the local configuration.

The example config file in Exim git sets submission
for
a) anything received from a named-list of hosts
(the "list" can be static, can be a DB lookup).
The list is called "relay_from hosts" which is
a hint as to the intended use - but names are only
interpreted by the config, not meaningful to the
Exim code.
b) anything received under SMTP authentication

Jeremy