Mailing List Archive

Issues with Remote host closed connection in response to pipelined end of data
Hi

I am using exim4 on debian version 4.96-15+deb12u2.
I forward mails to a remote SMTP which runs through a VPN.

Until a few weeks ago all went well, but since a few weeks I get a lot
of "Remote host closed connection in response to pipelined end of data"
and exim4 send the email again after 30 min. But the Email is received
twice in the receivers inbox, with 30 min difference.

How can I debug that a bit further, or any smtp timeout values to tweak?

Thank you.

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
Re: Issues with Remote host closed connection in response to pipelined end of data [ In reply to ]
Am Montag, 6. November 2023, 14:01:12 CET schrieb Lars Schimmer via Exim-
users:
> Hi
>
> I am using exim4 on debian version 4.96-15+deb12u2.
> I forward mails to a remote SMTP which runs through a VPN.
hmm,
a "SMTP timeout setting" is very probably not the source nor solution.

The target host did not respond to the running SMTP connection anymore while
in a email transfer.

To me it seems the target host got the full email until the end but the
completion signal is not reaching your sending SMTP / MTA - so he count it as
a temporary error and send again after 30 minutes (depending from your EXIM
retry settings).

I remember google mail as such a candidate...

Try disabling pipelining to that host...

hth,

niels.

--
---
Niels Dettenbach
Re: Issues with Remote host closed connection in response to pipelined end of data [ In reply to ]
On 06/11/2023 13:01, Lars Schimmer via Exim-users wrote:
> I am using exim4 on debian version 4.96-15+deb12u2.
> I forward mails to a remote SMTP which runs through a VPN.
>
> Until a few weeks ago all went well, but since a few weeks I get a lot of "Remote host closed connection in response to pipelined end of data"
> and exim4 send the email again after 30 min. But the Email is received twice in the receivers inbox, with 30 min difference.
>
> How can I debug that a bit further

Get information on what that remote is actually doing, preferably
including why.
Jeremy