When I implement a simple mailing list by an example as in chap 51.2
of the docs, why does the errors_to address have to be verifiable by a
router that comes *before* the list router?

Re: verifying errors_to [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Nov 2023, Julian Bradfield via Exim-users wrote:

> When I implement a simple mailing list by an example as in chap 51.2
> of the docs, why does the errors_to address have to be verifiable by a
> router that comes *before* the list router?

How would exim avoid infinite recursion if it reached the list router
while trying to verify that the errors_to address was valid ?

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: verifying errors_to [ In reply to ]
On 04/11/2023 21:17, Julian Bradfield via Exim-users wrote:
> When I implement a simple mailing list by an example as in chap 51.2
> of the docs, why does the errors_to address have to be verifiable by a
> router that comes *before* the list router?

Child addresses generated by that redirect router get full routing
done on them, starting at the top of the router chain.

Chapter 3 section 10. Probably the redirect router chapter
ought to mention it; I don't see it doing so on a quick glance.

Jeremy

Re: verifying errors_to [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Nov 2023, Julian Bradfield via Exim-users wrote:
> When I implement a simple mailing list by an example as in chap 51.2
> of the docs, why does the errors_to address have to be verifiable by a
> router that comes *before* the list router?

The answer is that it doesn't!
The comment in 51.2:

For example, using the configuration above, mail sent to dicts@lists.example is passed on to those addresses contained in /usr/lists/dicts, with error reports directed to dicts-request@lists.example, provided that this address can be verified. There could be a file called /usr/lists/dicts-request containing the address(es) of this particular list’s manager(s), but other approaches, such as setting up an earlier router (possibly using the local_part_prefix or local_part_suffix options) to handle addresses of the form owner-xxx or xxx-request, are also possible.

is a bit confusing.

Experiment appears to show that when the list file does not exist, the
router defers, rather than declining, and so further routers are not
tried, because of that, not because of no_more. Or am I wrong?

If I use a forced fail in the list lookup thus:

file = ${lookup {$local_part-list} dsearch,ret=full {/home/bcrc/EtcMail}{$value}fail}

then everything works as I expect.

*That* might be worth mentioning there: the example as given results
in a situation where mail to non-existent lists defers indefinitely,
which is probably not what anybody mindlessly copy-pasting expects :)

(Exim 4.94.2, by the way.)