Mailing List Archive

Re (2): Re (2): Configuring for non-encrypted MUA to localhost. TLS-on-connect, exim to smarthost.
From: Jeremy Harris via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 19:58:34 +0100
> ... or you could just wipe the hints database.

After reading the output of "man exim_tidydb" checked this.
$ ls -d /var/spool/exim4/db/*
/var/spool/exim4/db/retry
/var/spool/exim4/db/retry.lockfile
/var/spool/exim4/db/wait-remote_smtp_smarthost
/var/spool/exim4/db/wait-remote_smtp_smarthost.lockfile

Therefore I should try this.
$ exim_tidydb -t 1m /var/spool/exim4 retry

Two incidental questions.
(1) The man page shows option -f without explanation. How is it used?

(2) Why split the database identifier into path and file? Why not
just the fully qualified name? Eg.
exim_tidydb -t 1m /var/spool/exim4/db/retry

Might continue tomorrow or later.

Thanks for the help, ... P.

Re: Re (2): Re (2): Configuring for non-encrypted MUA to localhost. TLS-on-connect, exim to smarthost. [ In reply to ]
On 08/04/2023 23:35, Peter via Exim-users wrote:
> (1) The man page shows option -f without explanation.  How is it used?

It has no effect, though it is parsed and is not an error.

Despite the author's note on that manpage (at least in the Ubunto
online one I found) the source must have been glanced at. The actual
Exim documentation doesn't mention it.

> (2) Why split the database identifier into path and file?  Why not
> just the fully qualified name?  Eg.
>  exim_tidydb -t 1m /var/spool/exim4/db/retry

That's not a "file", it's a hints-database name.

It lets the utility Do The Right Thing when the database
is made of multiple files, or a file with some name depending
on, but not identical to, the name of the hints-db.
Jeremy