Mailing List Archive

Compilation failure on HP-UX 11.31
Hi,

Environment:
$ uname -srv
HP-UX B.11.31 U
$ cc --version
cc: HP C/aC++ B3910B A.06.20 [May 13 2008]

I'm trying to compile Exim 4.69 but getting the following failure at the
end of "make":

cc -o exim
ld: Unsatisfied symbol "nlist64" in file os.o
1 errors.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

Can anyone give me pointers as to what I can do? I can post the
Local/Makefile ot any other pertinent information if that should help.

Cheers,

Marc

Re: Compilation failure on HP-UX 11.31 [ In reply to ]
On 2008-11-25 at 13:49 +0100, Marc Beyer wrote:
> Environment:
> $ uname -srv
> HP-UX B.11.31 U
> $ cc --version
> cc: HP C/aC++ B3910B A.06.20 [May 13 2008]
>
> I'm trying to compile Exim 4.69 but getting the following failure at the
> end of "make":
>
> cc -o exim
> ld: Unsatisfied symbol "nlist64" in file os.o
> 1 errors.
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error exit code 1
>
> Stop.
>

> Can anyone give me pointers as to what I can do? I can post the
> Local/Makefile ot any other pertinent information if that should help.

This has picked up OS/Makefile-HP-UX, right?

If you add -lelf to LIBS in that, "make clean", "make makefile" and then
"make", does it work?

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/STK/HPUX_STK/impacts/i498.html
documents that nlist and nlist64 live in libelf. Any idea if this is a
change?

This is used for reading the load average from /dev/kmem; do you happen
to know if HP-UX has gotten around to introducing getloadavg() or a
better way than grovelling around in kmem?

Thanks,
-Phil

Re: Compilation failure on HP-UX 11.31 [ In reply to ]
Hi Phil,

> This has picked up OS/Makefile-HP-UX, right?
>
> If you add -lelf to LIBS in that, "make clean", "make makefile" and then
> "make", does it work?

Ah, thanks, that does work, I simply added "-lelf" to the Local/Makefile
(which didn't fix the problem), but editing the OS/Makefile-HP-UX
directly works fine and it now compiles (maybe this should be added as a
default for the ANSI cc?).

> http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/download/files/unprot/STK/HPUX_STK/impacts/i498.html
> documents that nlist and nlist64 live in libelf. Any idea if this is a
> change?

I'm sorry, no, no idea.

> This is used for reading the load average from /dev/kmem; do you happen
> to know if HP-UX has gotten around to introducing getloadavg() or a
> better way than grovelling around in kmem?

I don't know for sure, but from a search through the system docs it
doesn't appear so.

Thanks for your help,

Marc