endeavor, so correct me if my expectations are inappropriate. I was
looking for a repository location, how I obtain an account there (if
necessary), the bug tracking system, and a general overview of the
process that is used for new developers to make contributions.

Thanks for your time! I'd be glad to share more, but I don't want to
further abuse this list.

Derrick Francis Rice
Tufts University / Akamai Technologies

Re: Contributing to Exim [ In reply to ]
Derrick Rice <derrick.rice@gmail.com> said
(on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:48:11PM -0400):
> I'd appreciate it if someone would please point me to the correct
> location for this sort of information. This is my first open source
> endeavor

You're in the right place - the exim-dev list. Welcome!

Exim development has a group of developers and is progressing, but - it has
to be said - is a little headless at the moment, since the original head of
development (Philip Hazel) retired, so please have some patience that the
remaining group of developers are still finding their feet as to the *who*
and *when* of organising a new release (I'm sure they are just being polite
and/or busy, like myself, to step up).

Importantly, check the exim wiki: http://wiki.exim.org/EximDevelopment
(which will tell you where to get the source, among other things).

Essentially, what is happening currently is that bugs are identified (and
put into Bugzilla - which you can register with at http://bugs.exim.org/)
and then patches are submitted (by you or another developer). It's mainly
coordinated by this list, really.

Eventually, someone will decide to make a release and will start a release
testing phase. This event is the great unknown.

In the meantime, get the source, register on Bugzilla and start fixing bugs.

Hope that helps.

--
Geraint Edwards