Mailing List Archive

Re: New List exim-users-de?
Heiko,

My apologies for replying to a private email by copying it to a list,
but I guess others may have comments on this (I have moved your email to
Bcc so any further comments on the email would be on the list). A good
number of the exim list denizens appear Germanic, although in fact I
have no idea where they are based.

On 14 Jan 2008, at 16:17, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> to rise Exims publicity (and the number of installations) here in .de
> I'd like to create a mailing list for german speaking users.
>
> I see two possibilities:
>
> 1) I'd operate a list hosted on my server:
> <exim-users-de@mailman.schlittermann.de>
>
> 2) You (or the operator of exim.org mailing lists) could create an
> <exim-users-de@exim.org> list.
>

> I do not have any problem with the first option (since we're running
> here already several (mostly "hidden") lists. But probably the 2nd
> would
> be more "neutral" or "natural".
>
> In any case I'd take the moderator / administrator role for the
> list, if
> nobody minds.
>
> Best regards from Dresden
> Viele Grüße aus Dresden
> Heiko Schlittermann

I am happy to support either of these. So its a case of seeing which
solution (or even another), makes sense to the majority of those that
would be within the target market of that list.

I can put a list together for you if thats what people want.
Unfortunately my German is inadequate to manage handling any moderation
tasks, so it would need a separate moderation group to the existing
lists (I don't know if Peter or Graham are better linguists than I).

Cheers
Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]
[. - Comments in this message are my own and not ITO opinion/policy - ]

Re: New List exim-users-de? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:36:09PM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> My apologies for replying to a private email by copying it to a list,
> but I guess others may have comments on this (I have moved your email to
> Bcc so any further comments on the email would be on the list). A good
> number of the exim list denizens appear Germanic, although in fact I
> have no idea where they are based.

I have discussed this with Heiko privately in the last days and I
would support his idea.

Exim's german language user base used to be rather big, but the german
language postfix community is growing fast because there is a number
of quite vocal postfix fans in Germany. A german support medium would
probably help users to use exim and keep them from converting to
postfix.

> > In any case I'd take the moderator / administrator role for the
> > list, if nobody minds.

I would offer to be a co-mod by virtue of /usr/bin/listadmin.

> I am happy to support either of these. So its a case of seeing which
> solution (or even another), makes sense to the majority of those that
> would be within the target market of that list.

I think that a list under @exim.org has a much higher chance of being
accepted by the user base.

> Unfortunately my German is inadequate to manage handling any moderation
> tasks, so it would need a separate moderation group to the existing
> lists (I don't know if Peter or Graham are better linguists than I).

Heiko ha already offered himself, and so am I.

Greetings
Marc

Re: New List exim-users-de? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Nigel Metheringham <nigel.metheringham@dev.intechnology.co.uk> (Mo 14 Jan 2008 17:36:09 CET):
> Heiko,
>
> My apologies for replying to a private email by copying it to a list,
..

It's ok.

But since it's public now I'd like to add some comment(s):

> > I see two possibilities:
> >
> > 1) I'd operate a list hosted on my server:
> > <exim-users-de@mailman.schlittermann.de>
> >
> > 2) You (or the operator of exim.org mailing lists) could create an
> > <exim-users-de@exim.org> list.
> >

> I am happy to support either of these. So its a case of seeing which
> solution (or even another), makes sense to the majority of those that
> would be within the target market of that list.

The first option (@mailman.schlittermann.de) is setup and running
already (but not populated), but Marc H. pointed me to the 2nd option
(@exim.org).

And, I'd like to stress that there is no intention to split the
exim-users list into german and others. I think of it as an addition and
would be happy if nobody *moves* to the new list but instead uses the new
list as an addition. And I hope, that this way we can reach even more
german speaking administrators. (I believe postfix is quite wide spread
here for technical reasons but for the german support base.)

Best regards from Dresden
Viele Grüße aus Dresden
Heiko Schlittermann
Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2 7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -
Re: New List exim-users-de? [ In reply to ]
Well, having seen the comments from both Heiko and Marc, I'll set the
list up on exim.org and mail you the admin password.

Cheers
Nigel.

Re: New List exim-users-de? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 16:36 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> I am happy to support either of these. So its a case of seeing which
> solution (or even another), makes sense to the majority of those that
> would be within the target market of that list.

I feel that the -de@exim.org would be preferable (sorry Heiko!) if only
because it explicitly links the list with the code via the domain.

> I can put a list together for you if thats what people want.
> Unfortunately my German is inadequate to manage handling any moderation
> tasks, so it would need a separate moderation group to the existing
> lists (I don't know if Peter or Graham are better linguists than I).

My German is... nicht so gut, da ich nur ein bisschen sprechen. I learnt
it 25 years or so ago and haven't had much need to make regular use
since!

I'd be happy to act "in reserve" if needed, though. Most moderation
tasks revolve around throwing away spam!

Graeme

Re: New List exim-users-de? [ In reply to ]
On 14/01/2008, Marc Haber <mh+exim-dev@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:36:09PM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > Unfortunately my German is inadequate to manage handling any moderation
> > tasks, so it would need a separate moderation group to the existing
> > lists (I don't know if Peter or Graham are better linguists than I).
>
> Heiko ha already offered himself, and so am I.

I know enough German to recongise spam ... happy to help if required.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer
Email: peter@bowyer.org