Verify sender callout uses wrong HELO data
When Exim 4.63 performs a verify sender callout, it picks up the interface
and port from the SMTP transport (calling code in smtp_out.c), however
it uses smtp_active_hostname for HELO data instead of picking up the
transport's helo_data. Some remote mailservers notice that the HELO
data hostname doesn't match the connecting interface.

The suspect code is in verify.c lines 413 through 476.

Steve

Re: Verify sender callout uses wrong HELO data [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Steven A. Reisman wrote:

> When Exim 4.63 performs a verify sender callout, it picks up the interface
> and port from the SMTP transport (calling code in smtp_out.c), however
> it uses smtp_active_hostname for HELO data instead of picking up the
> transport's helo_data. Some remote mailservers notice that the HELO
> data hostname doesn't match the connecting interface.
>
> The suspect code is in verify.c lines 413 through 476.

There is an item on the wish list to re-implement callouts so that the
code in the smtp transport is used directly, instead of having to fish
things out of the transport as now. Whether/when this will be
implemented, I don't know. Meanwhile, I will take a look at this in due
course (not for some weeks - I'm on vacation for the two weeks after
this) and see if there is an easy temporary fix.

Thanks for the report.

--
Philip Hazel University of Cambridge Computing Service
Get the Exim 4 book: http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book

Re: Verify sender callout uses wrong HELO data [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Steven A. Reisman wrote:

> When Exim 4.63 performs a verify sender callout, it picks up the interface
> and port from the SMTP transport (calling code in smtp_out.c), however
> it uses smtp_active_hostname for HELO data instead of picking up the
> transport's helo_data. Some remote mailservers notice that the HELO
> data hostname doesn't match the connecting interface.

I have fixed this bug and committed the code, so it should be in
tonight's snapshot.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel, University of Cambridge Computing Service.