Mailing List Archive

Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.97-RC0 released
On Thu, 7 Sep 2023, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Enough changes have accumulated since 4.96 for it to be worth
> spinning another release. The first Release Candidate is available
>
> - as tarball: https://ftp.exim.org/pub/exim/exim4/test
> - directly from Git: https://git.exim.org
> tag exim-4.97-RC0
>
> The signatures on the release tarballs (and this mail) should be
> mine, key ID 0xBCE58C8CE41F32DF.
>
> Please test and give feedback on the RC so that we can shake out
> issues before 4.97 goes official.
>
> The sourcebase is still open for feature additions at this point
> in the release process.

I have code to add CLIENTID
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-storey-smtp-client-id-15.txt
but I am not happy with the test coverage yet.

If I do get it ready for release in time,
when would you need it for 4.97 ?

I would make this feature EXPERIMENTAL, included only if specifically
requested at build time (though the test suite should check for
CLIENTID however it is built), not just because it is new, but also
because a large part of the feature requires integration with the user
database and I have very little experience with that area.

It would therefore be useful to make it available to those who do have
that experience so that we can see if it does what I expect.

Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew@aitchison.me.uk

Re: [exim] [exim-announce] Exim 4.97-RC0 released [ In reply to ]
On 11/09/2023 20:13, Andrew C Aitchison via Exim-dev wrote:
> I have code to add CLIENTID
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-storey-smtp-client-id-15.txt
> but I am not happy with the test coverage yet.

If you're happy to expose it to others for testing, and it doesn't
add any testcase failures in other areas when built with it included,
I'm happy for it to be an Experimental feature in the upcoming 4.97

Before we declare feature-freeze is the only constraint; and I've not
done so yet. I'm not aware of any specific pending features, so that
point could be as close as a couple of weeks from now.
Jeremy