Mailing List Archive

unicode in "Packet Details" pane

Hi, i am a ethereal newbie and trying to sniff my jabber messages over
the network. As jabber packets are as xml/unicode so i could not read
them as an ASCII char from ethereal's packet details window, anything
could help?

thanks in advance.
Re: unicode in "Packet Details" pane [ In reply to ]

> Hi, i am a ethereal newbie and trying to sniff my jabber messages over
> the network. As jabber packets are as xml/unicode so i could not read
> them as an ASCII char from ethereal's packet details window, anything
> could help?

Ethereal doesn't support displaying arbitrary Unicode text in the
summary or details window. As the note added above to your mail notes,
little if any Ethereal development is being done any more - the core
developers are all working on the Wireshark project. (For details on
the change, see http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2.)

As such, Ethereal will probably never support it. I would like to add
support for that to Wireshark, although that would probably not work
with the GTK+ 1.2[.x] version of Wireshark (GTK+ 2.x supports
UTF-8-encoded Unicode in its text widgets). I don't know when I would
have time to do that, however (it involves changes to the programming
interfaces inside Wireshark to allow dissectors of protocols to specify
the encoding of strings in messages, to handle both UTF-8 and non-UTF-8
encodings).

As far as I know, Jabber encodes the Unicode as UTF-8, not UTF-16, so
ASCII text in the XML would be encoded as ASCII. Thus, the ASCII
characters in Jabber XML will be displayed correctly; it's only the
non-ASCII text that won't display.

If the ASCII text in your Jabber messages isn't displaying correctly
with whatever version of Ethereal you're using, please upgrade to the
latest version of Wireshark:

http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

If the latest version of Wireshark also doesn't display the ASCII text
in your Jabber messages correctly, file a bug on the Wireshark Bugzilla:

http://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/

and, if at all possible, include a capture file containing your Jabber
messages (by "capture file" I mean the raw capture file
Ethereal/Wireshark produces, *NOT* the result of exporting a capture to
a text file).
Re: unicode in "Packet Details" pane [ In reply to ]