Mailing List Archive

Request: trace analysis assistance

Hi, I have been trouble shooting a firewall issue and installed ethereal
0.99 on WinXP to capture all activity for a particular MAC address. I
wound up fixing my firewall issue, but I have a question about the trace
that I captured....

The trace is from a small home LAN without much activity at the time, so
the capture file is small. I see what I consider to be "many" dup-ack
and out-of-sequence packets for such a small trace. The trace file
contains 37 capture records and 12 of them are either dup-ack or
out-of-sequence. From what I can tell, everything is working OK, but I
question whether these "errors" are typical or not.

Would anyone be willing to analyze the capture file for me and provide
some feedback? If so, let me know and I'll either email the capture file
or provide via a URL...

Thanks,

Jeff