Mailing List Archive

question
Hi,

My name is Rodrigo.
I want to compile ethereal-0.8.18 over solaris 2.6, but I have some errors when I run make command.

ex:
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I../..
-I/usr/local/include -I../.. -I../../wiretap -I../../epan -I/usr/local/include
-Wall -g -O2 -I../.. -I../../wiretap -I../../epan -I/usr/local/include -I/expo
rt/home/rtorres/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/local/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/local/lib/g
lib/include -I/usr/openwin/include -c packet-gryphon.c
../../libtool: test: argument expected
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `packet-gryphon.lo'
Current working directory /export/home/rtorres/ethereal-0.8.18/plugins/gryphon
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /export/home/rtorres/ethereal-0.8.18/plugins
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /export/home/rtorres/ethereal-0.8.18
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'

Can you help me ?
Regards
Rodrigo

Re: question [ In reply to ]
> I want to compile ethereal-0.8.18

Actually, you want to compile ethereal 0.8.20, as that's the current
version...

> ../../libtool: test: argument expected

...and the release tarball for 0.8.20, unlike the tarball for 0.8.18,
was built with an older version of libtool, so it doesn't run into that
annoying libtool bug, introduced in libtool 1.4.

> Can you help me ?

Throw away 0.8.18, download 0.8.20, and try that.
question [ In reply to ]
Hi. I am wondering how I can use the filter option in Ethereal for
Win2k.

What do I type to filter out all but a singel protocol f.ex.?
Or want to select only one computer or select anyone except one
computer..?

Regards

Morten
RE: Re: question [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much
Rodrigo

Re: question [ In reply to ]
> Hi. I am wondering how I can use the filter option in Ethereal for
> Win2k.

Capture filters, or display filters?

In either case, you use them the same way you use them in Ethereal for
any other platform (modulo differences in the capture filters that the
version of libpcap being used on that platform accepts).

> What do I type to filter out all but a singel protocol f.ex.?

For capture filters, check out the tcpdump man page, or, on Windows, the
WinDump man page:

http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/docs/manual.htm

for a description of the syntax. Only some protocols can be tested;
some of them let you filter by name (e.g., "ip", "tcp", "udp"), some
others would require you to check the numerical value of some field
(e.g., "ip proto 132" for SCTP), and some others can't be filter out at
all (e.g., HTTP, or NFS, or SMB, or ONC or DCE RPC - you can, at best,
filter based on port numbers, which would work for SMB, and for all but
a probably-negligible amount of NFS traffic, and for most HTTP traffic,
but not for other ONC RPC traffic other than the portmapper or DCE RPC
traffic other than whatever stuff it runs at a fixed port number).

For display filters - which don't control what traffic gets captured,
they control only what traffic is currently being displayed - see the
Ethereal man page for a complete list of protocols that can be filtered.

> Or want to select only one computer

For capture filters:

host {hostname or IP address}

should work to select only traffic to or from that host. (That'll
probably get only IP traffic - not, for example, ARP traffic - unless
the host name happens to map to a MAC address in the ethers file or NIS
database for that file.)

For display filters, you can check the source and destination IP
addresses of packets with

ip.addr == {hostname or IP address}

and there's a similar field for IPv6, as well as fields for link-layer
and other addresses.

> or select anyone except one computer..?

Precede the filter expression with "not" (it shouldn't require that you
surround the filter expression with parentheses, as the above are simple
expressions).
Re: question [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 11:17:03AM -0800, Michele Bustos wrote:
> regardless of the fact that my checksum is bad, shouldn't I see an address
> next to source and destination for the ipv6 header?

Yes, you should. When I read your capture file, I do - in the "Source"
and "Destination" columns in the packet list (topmost) pane, there are
IPv6 addresses, and they also appear in the detail (middle) pane in the
"Source address" and "Destination address" fields.

If, however, you are running on Windows, a bug - fixed in the current
CVS tree, so it'll be fixed in the next release - causes the "Source"
and "Destination" columns in the topmost pane to be blank for IPv6
addresses.
RE: question [ In reply to ]
yep, win2k!
thanks!
/m

Re: Question [ In reply to ]
Sorry,

Hi, I from caracas-venezuela.

I installed ethereal, and I test CAPTURE process, but I didn´t see any paquets.

My configuration PC is:

Intel pentium IV

128 MB ram

One network card (VIA 10/100 Fast Ethernet)

Windows ME

I need any thing else?

Francis E. Ferrer Z. Caracas - Venezuela

Charla con tus amigos en línea mediante MSN Messenger: http://g.msn.com/8HMKES/2728??PS="]Haz clic aquí
Re: Question [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 06:08:36PM +0000, Fr@ncis FERRER wrote (in HTML;
not everybody's mail software handles HTML mail well, so please use
plain-text mail if you can):

>I installed ethereal, and I test CAPTURE process, but I didn´t see
>any paquets.
>My configuration PC is:
>Intel pentium IV
>128 MB ram
>One network card (VIA 10/100 Fast Ethernet)
>Windows ME

Are you trying to capture packets being sent by the machine running
Ethereal and packets being sent to that machine, or are you trying to
capture packets being sent between two *other* machines?

If you're trying to capture packets being sent between two other
machines, see:

http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.1

If you're trying to capture packets being sent by the machine running
Ethereal and packets being sent to the machine running Ethereal, you
should try capturing with WinDump:

http://windump.polito.it/

If you still don't see any packets, this is a problem with WinPcap; you
should report it to the developers of WinPcap - see the page at

http://winpcap.polito.it/contact.htm

for instructions on how to do so.
RE: question [ In reply to ]
I don't know, myself, but I have a nice big archive of the mailing list
here. So here are a few previous messages that you might find helpful.

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200304/msg00183.html:
FWIW From my testing so far:
- Ethereal can capture on a loopback address at speeds up to 2.8GBit/s
on a
2x1.5GHzP4 IBM Intellistation running Linux.
- Ethereal can capture on 100Mbit/s Ethernet in both directions on
crappy
old Pentium II with 64MB RAM without dropping a frame when running
Linux.
- I have yet to be able to capture more than 50-60Mbit/s on a Win32
machine
without significant (>10%) packet loss. Ethereal on Win32 can't
capture from
the loopback.

See also
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200212/msg00068.html