Mailing List Archive

More RFE! Please approve!
Hi.

While using this excellent tool (SnifferTM has only the expert to really
compete i feel!) i came up with even more:

give me a "BACK" and "FORWARD" button for the filterstring-history like
in the webbrowsers, not just the drop down list. add the browser-like
mouse-thumb-buttons for quick navigation.

Maybe clear the filter-box when closing the current / opening a new
trace to start out fresh? Here in my training class it is annoying to
have the old filter on the new trace. Don't know about real life yet..
Please decide.

why is the filter-string-box not resizeable? A simple follow TCP stream
will already be bigger - i guess a lot of people asked that already, so:
sorry ;)

can i have a separate font for hex window (all windows?) ? it takes up
too much space for being of too little interest for me (using 2nd
layout, hex lower right, eating away details). i would not mind setting
it to a barely readable fontsize to gain space and on the downside have
to lean forward to the screen if i really wanted to read something
hex-ish in every 10th packet.

filter on the protocol-dissector-detail when doubleclicking it - as if
using "apply filter as -> selected". eg. go to SMB multiplex-id,
doubleclick it to filter on smb.mid == 0F00. the executed action should
be configurable, so you can turn it off or set it to "prepare
as/AND/not" if you like. Be a bit inspired by the windows-explorer and
modify the cursor and the action when holding shift/+ctrl/+alt when
doubleclicking to represent and/not/or/add/whatever.

add a button on the searchbar that says "Marked" which filters with
"frame.marked == 1" to zoom in on packets that you found interesting
while browsing through the trace before.

Put separators in the Y-axis-scale of the IOgraph so you get 1,000 /
1,000,000 (get separator from OS?) etc. Counting zeros at that size is
ugly.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)
Chris
Re: More RFE! Please approve! [ In reply to ]
Kalk, Christian wrote:
> give me a "BACK" and "FORWARD" button for the filterstring-history like
> in the webbrowsers, not just the drop down list. add the browser-like
> mouse-thumb-buttons for quick navigation.

Please add it to the WishList, I was thinking about this too :-)

BTW: Please use the Wireshark Wiki, the Ethereal Wiki is dead.
> Maybe clear the filter-box when closing the current / opening a new
> trace to start out fresh? Here in my training class it is annoying to
> have the old filter on the new trace. Don't know about real life yet..
> Please decide.

When opening very large capture files, people set the display filter
first and then load the file to avoid the time the filter needs to be
applied. So at least these people wouldn't like it. Maybe a preference
setting switching this behaviour on and off might be a good idea.

You may also add it to the WishList (if it's not already there).
> why is the filter-string-box not resizeable? A simple follow TCP stream
> will already be bigger - i guess a lot of people asked that already, so:
> sorry ;)

You may also add it to the WishList (if it's not already there).
> can i have a separate font for hex window (all windows?) ? it takes up
> too much space for being of too little interest for me (using 2nd
> layout, hex lower right, eating away details). i would not mind setting
> it to a barely readable fontsize to gain space and on the downside have
> to lean forward to the screen if i really wanted to read something
> hex-ish in every 10th packet.

Well, I frequently need the hexdump :-)
> filter on the protocol-dissector-detail when doubleclicking it - as if
> using "apply filter as -> selected". eg. go to SMB multiplex-id,
> doubleclick it to filter on smb.mid == 0F00. the executed action should
> be configurable, so you can turn it off or set it to "prepare
> as/AND/not" if you like.
That's a task based action, so it might not be a good interface to work
with -> unsure.
> Be a bit inspired by the windows-explorer and
> modify the cursor and the action when holding shift/+ctrl/+alt when
> doubleclicking to represent and/not/or/add/whatever.

You may send patches and we'll see :-)
> add a button on the searchbar that says "Marked" which filters with
> "frame.marked == 1" to zoom in on packets that you found interesting
> while browsing through the trace before.

I would more like to see a way to add arbitrary buttons to the
filterbar, which would be much more versatile than your suggestion.
> Put separators in the Y-axis-scale of the IOgraph so you get 1,000 /
> 1,000,000 (get separator from OS?) etc. Counting zeros at that size is
> ugly.

Don't know the IOgraph well, so no comment.

Please consider to switch to the Wireshark lists, this mailing list
might soon become unsupported !!!

Regards, ULFL
Re: More RFE! Please approve! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 05:52:27PM +0200, Kalk, Christian wrote:

> why is the filter-string-box not resizeable? A simple follow TCP
> stream will already be bigger - i guess a lot of people asked that
> already, so: sorry ;)

I like that idea. In fact, I would like to see the whole toolbar be
more dynamic - so you can specify which buttons appear and in what
order. When they're displaying as graphic and text, they don't all fit
up there and some I NEVER use (such as print) but would like to use ones
that don't fit in this mode.

Shall I put that on the wish list? :)

Steve