Mailing List Archive

RFE: new column for UI: conversation number
Hi.

The wishlist said to check the dev-list before putting a wish up. So
here is the email, there is the wish:

Example-scenario:
You have a tracefile with many protocols, filter down on a single one.
You see different requests and responses between two entities, but you
do not know, if all the packets are exchanged in the same TCP-session,
because you usually do not see the TCP-3wh because you filtered just on
the protocol frames.

Suggestion:
Introduce a feature called the conversation ID.
You could then filter on multiple conversation IDs (will work like
follow TCP-conversation, but instead of using TCP ports and IPs it will
work more natively through the conversation number -> conversation == 3
|| conversation == 9) and you could show it as a new column on the UI.

Benefit:
- Upgrade the "follow TCP stream" from using Sockets to conversation ID
- with the new column, directly see when clients open sessions, ask one
thing, close the session and do that 20 times by raising conversation
ID.

You like it? How to proceed?
Please comment!

Cheers!
Chris :)
Re: RFE: new column for UI: conversation number [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Come on over to Wireshark at www.wireshark.org. That is were the
developers are these days.

Thanx,
Jaap

Re: RFE: new column for UI: conversation number [ In reply to ]
Kalk, Christian wrote:
> Suggestion:
> Introduce a feature called the conversation ID.
> You could then filter on multiple conversation IDs (will work like
> follow TCP-conversation, but instead of using TCP ports and IPs it will
> work more natively through the conversation number -> conversation == 3
> || conversation == 9) and you could show it as a new column on the UI.

I've thought about exactly the same thing before.

The problem is (and I'm probably not alone with this): The applications
I work with uses several layers, which TCP is only one of and I'm
usually interested of the conversations on other layers as well.

You could think about such a "conversation" for UDP and a lot of other
(higher level) protocols as well.

I would like to have a more general mechanism, not only for TCP, but
after thinking about it for a while, I couldn't find a really good way
to display this in a convenient and intuitive way :-(
> Benefit:
> - Upgrade the "follow TCP stream" from using Sockets to conversation ID
> - with the new column, directly see when clients open sessions, ask one
> thing, close the session and do that 20 times by raising conversation
> ID.
>
> You like it? How to proceed?

You may add this to the WishList, so at least it won't get lost for now.

Regards, ULFL