./configure
make
make install
make install-shared
make install-shared-so

Many thanks for your hard work on Ethereal and on the Users Guide!

--
Tyler Thueson
Re: Update to Ethereal Users's Guide [ In reply to ]
On Jun 15, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Thueson, Tyler N (Boise-2L MIT) wrote:

> In the Users Guide at http://www.ethereal.com/docs/eug_html/,
> "Example 2.2. Building and installing libpcap" needs to be updated
> for libpcap version 0.9.4. The commands have changed from
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> make install-incl

> ./configure
> make
> make install
> make install-shared
> make install-shared-so

Not on all platforms, they haven't.

Shared libraries are supported only on those platforms using GNU ld
as the linker and on OS X/Darwin. However, most if not all of those
platforms have libpcap bundled with the OS or available in
developer's packages; OS X does, as do most of the BSDs, and I think
most "mainstream" non-embedded Linux distributions do.

I've updated the User's Guide not to mention the "install-incl"
script, however, as that's no longer an installation step.