Mailing List Archive

Portable Ethereal
Lately I've been getting into using portable applications. Many
open-source programs have had portable versions made (firefox, vlc, open
office, etc...). I wanted to make Ethereal portable, and am about 99%
of the way there.

I have instructions on my blog (I know) at http://peubanks.blogspot.com/

Now then, there's just one thing missing from the equation - npf.sys
(Part of WinPcap)has to reside on the local machine. Is there a way to
redirect Ethereal to look for npf.sys in another location besides
%systemroot%\system32\drivers? Perhaps point the program to look for
that sys file in a self-contained directory where the rest of the
portable program resides?

Or maybe there's an easier way I'm not aware of?

-Paul

_____________________________

Paul Eubanks

Network Technician

City of North Augusta

400 E. Buena Vista Ave.

North Augusta, SC 29841

w. (803) 441-4218

Peubanks@northaugusta.net
Re: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 08:08 -0400, Eubanks, Paul wrote:

> Lately I’ve been getting into using portable applications. Many
> open-source programs have had portable versions made (firefox, vlc,
> open office, etc…). I wanted to make Ethereal portable, and am about
> 99% of the way there.

How about starting by making your emails "portable" ;-)

- Erwin

Re: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
Eubanks, Paul wrote:
> Lately I’ve been getting into using portable applications. Many
> open-source programs have had portable versions made (firefox, vlc, open
> office, etc…).

Err, umm, what does the word "portable" mean in this context?

The meanings I know of are:

1) "portable" in the sense of running on multiple operating systems -
Wireshark is already portable in that sense;

2) "portable" in the sense of running on small handheld devices - it
doesn't run on Windows CE, although there is a WinPcap for Windows CE
linked to from the WinPcap site:

http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm

(scroll to the bottom), and it might be possible to make it work,
and people have, in the past, built versions of Ethereal for the
Linux-based Sharp Zaurus:

http://www.secdev.org/zaurus/zethereal.html

with UI changes to make it fit better on a handheld.

It sounds as if you might be using it in a third sense - distributing
apps on a CD-ROM in a form that supports running it from the CD-ROM
without having to install anything on the machine. Is that the case?
Re: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
Portable Firefox is an installation of Firefox that can be completely
installed on a USB memory key, and just plugged into a machine and
used (without having to install it on the local machine). I would
assume that Portable Ethereal is the same thing. It's an interesting idea.

-Ashok

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:35:09PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> Eubanks, Paul wrote:
> >Lately I?ve been getting into using portable applications. Many
> >open-source programs have had portable versions made (firefox, vlc, open
> >office, etc?).
>
> Err, umm, what does the word "portable" mean in this context?
>
> The meanings I know of are:
>
> 1) "portable" in the sense of running on multiple operating systems
> - Wireshark is already portable in that sense;
>
> 2) "portable" in the sense of running on small handheld devices - it
> doesn't run on Windows CE, although there is a WinPcap for Windows CE
> linked to from the WinPcap site:
>
> http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm
>
> (scroll to the bottom), and it might be possible to make it work,
> and people have, in the past, built versions of Ethereal for the
> Linux-based Sharp Zaurus:
>
> http://www.secdev.org/zaurus/zethereal.html
>
> with UI changes to make it fit better on a handheld.
>
> It sounds as if you might be using it in a third sense - distributing
> apps on a CD-ROM in a form that supports running it from the CD-ROM
> without having to install anything on the machine. Is that the case?

--- Asok the Intern ----------------------------------------
Ashok Narayanan
IOS Network Protocols, Cisco Systems
1414 Mass Ave, Boxborough MA 01719
Ph: 978-936-1608. Fax: 978-936-2218 (Attn: Ashok Narayanan)
Re: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
Ashok Narayanan wrote:
> Portable Firefox is an installation of Firefox that can be completely
> installed on a USB memory key, and just plugged into a machine and
> used (without having to install it on the local machine). I would
> assume that Portable Ethereal is the same thing. It's an interesting idea.

That's the third meaning in my list, with "USB drive" replacing
"CD-ROM"; I'd forgotten about USB drives (for which there's no excuse,
given that I'm thinking about using USB drives as a replacement for Zip
drives for my Quicken backups, and had been thinking of some other USB
drive applications as well).

Unfortunately, "portable" is becoming even more of an overloaded term
than it already was. :-)
RE: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure I follow?

RE: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
" It sounds as if you might be using it in a third sense - distributing
apps on a CD-ROM in a form that supports running it from the CD-ROM
without having to install anything on the machine. Is that the case?"

Yes. Or USB drive, etc... I should have said "stand-alone" perhaps?
Something you don't have to install on the target machine in order to
run. I'm aiming this at windows machines, but it would be nice to be
able to do this on *nix machines as well.

_______________________________
Paul Eubanks
City of North Augusta
w. (803) 441-4218
Peubanks@northaugusta.net

Re: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
Eubanks, Paul wrote:

> Now then, there’s just one thing missing from the equation – npf.sys
> (Part of WinPcap)has to reside on the local machine. Is there a way to
> redirect Ethereal to look for npf.sys in another location besides
> %systemroot%\system32\drivers?

No, because Ethereal/Wireshark doesn't look there. WinPcap looks there;
Ethereal/Wirecap (and other applications) just call WinPcap to open an
adapter for capturing.

You might want to ask the WinPcap developers about this.
Re: Portable Ethereal [ In reply to ]
Guy Harris wrote:
> Eubanks, Paul wrote:
>
>> Now then, there’s just one thing missing from the equation – npf.sys
>> (Part of WinPcap)has to reside on the local machine. Is there a way
>> to redirect Ethereal to look for npf.sys in another location besides
>> %systemroot%\system32\drivers?
>
> No, because Ethereal/Wireshark doesn't look there. WinPcap looks
> there; Ethereal/Wirecap (and other applications) just call WinPcap to
> open an adapter for capturing.
>
> You might want to ask the WinPcap developers about this.
See http://www.cacetech.com/products/toolkit.htm (essentially the
winpcap team), they will sell something like that.

Regards, ULFL