Mailing List Archive

Win32 distclean still failing
I recently downloaded the pre-release source for Wireshark 0.99.1 from:
http://www.wireshark.org/download/prerelease/wireshark-0.99.1pre1.tar.gz
.. Like always, I run "nmake -f Makefile.nmake distclean" before
attempting to compile it. As with Ethereal 0.99.0, the clean still
fails due to no asn1 directory. I reported this before and there was
some discussion about including the asn1 directory (and possibly others)
with the source tar.gz. Here's a link to the start of the thread
discussion:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200604/msg00290.html.

Also, not sure if we should report bugs/problems to both wireshark and
ethereal developer lists or is wireshark alone enough?

- Chris

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention,
distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the
recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all
copies of this message. Also, email is susceptible to data
corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and
viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are
not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering,
amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.

RE: Win32 distclean still failing [ In reply to ]
Software Engineer new to Ethereal/WireShark coding!!!!
Back in March '06 I setup an Ethereal build environment on Win 2K, with
no issues. Everything built first time!!! :))

Since then, new PC, new OS (WinXP), new Ethereal build environment
(setup same as before). The build environment is based on the latest
code base & libraries (installed by executing "nmake -fmakefile.nmake
setup").

Tried to build from the latest SVN repository (retrieve on 6/12) &
ethereal-0.99.0.tar.gz, however, I received several errors during the
gtk2 build (see attachment).

Is the ASN1 code necessary for Ethereal to perform basic tcp captures?

I commented out the ASN1 from the Makefile.nmake inorder to clean the
source tree.

Commands executed:
nmake -fMakefile.nmake verify_tools (completed OK)
nmake -fMakefile.nmake setup (completed OK)
nmake -fMakefile.nmake distclean (disabled ASN1 clean)
(completed OK)
nmake -fMakefile.nmake all (incomplete GTK2
errors)

I've checked the WIKI & other pages. I hope the fix is simple!

Thanks in advance.

RE: Win32 distclean still failing [ In reply to ]
Hi,
First of all you should use the sources from http://www.wireshark.org/
and perhaps switch to the corresponding mailing lists :)

Brg
Anders

RE: Win32 distclean still failing [ In reply to ]
Good suggestion, however, wireshark-0.99.1pre1.tar.gz has the build
issue of no ASN1 directory tree!!!! How do I get around this set
back???

Thanks

SV: Win32 distclean still failing [ In reply to ]
Hi,
For now remove the following lines from the top level makefil.nmake
cd asn1
$(MAKE) /$(MAKEFLAGS) -f Makefile.nmake clean
cd ..

Brg
Anders