I can't seem to get anything to work. I tried modifying the source code
of one of the plugins to use a different tcp port just to see if it is
working, but it didn't seem to do anything. Is there a way to tell if
the plugin has loaded or not? Do I need a *.so file? All of the other
plugins in that directory have *.la and *.so, but when I compile I only
get a *.la file. Sorry for my ignorance. I'm kind of in a time crunch
and I don't see much documentation on this. Any help would be appreciated.

-Nathan
RE: how do I compile/install a plugin? [ In reply to ]
You just need to have *.so file to add a plugin.
To build it, try "make all" in the directory concerned by the plugin.
Normally, you should have a *.so file copied into :
/usr/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0
or
/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0
or
/opt/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0
It depends on the directory mentionned in the *.la file.

Re: how do I compile/install a plugin? [ In reply to ]
Yeah that's exactly what I did, and no *.so file :( I don't see
anything in the Makefile that says anything about any *.so files. The
*.la file says that the library needs to be installed in
/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0, but that directory does not
exist. I want the *.so file to be in
/opt/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0 b/c that's where the other
plugins are.

One of my friends told me yesterday that plugins have to be disabled on
Mac OS X in order for ethereal to compile on that platform. Is this
true? Maybe that's what's going on?

-Nathan

Re: how do I compile/install a plugin? [ In reply to ]
I don't believe that plugins have to be disabled on Mac OS X in order for
ethereal to compile on that platform. You can try after all.
Otherwise, try "make install" => It should create the *.so and *.la file in
/usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0 then you just have to remove the
directory and copy these files into /opt/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0
b/c as you want.

Re: how do I compile/install a plugin? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 06:20:03PM +0000, kyan-ki kyan-ki wrote:

> I don't believe that plugins have to be disabled on Mac OS X in order
> for ethereal to compile on that platform. You can try after all.
> Otherwise, try "make install" => It should create the *.so and *.la
> file in /usr/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0 then you just have to
> remove the directory and copy these files into
> /opt/local/lib/ethereal/plugins/0.99.0 b/c as you want.

The Help menu -> About [Ethereal/Wireshark] -> Plugins tab shows the
plugins that are recgonized. My OS X machine has a bunch of them
listed. This Ethereal is from DarwinPorts.

Steve