Mailing List Archive

Could it be solution to priting error in pop windows
Hi all,
few days back, i asked for any solution for how to print errors in pop-up
windows in dissector section.

I m new to computer programming & ofcause dealing with open source. Here is
an solution which i came across. Kindly give ur comments as this is not a
professional solution its just an twist of existing components.

solution :
since we can access err & err_info in wiretap for error no & error message
(they will be printed in a popup window) error message display is written
here in this case file.c for all errcode in wtap.h

so why have a err_no & err_info in our pseudo header. since info in pseudo
header we have access in dissector via pinfo. if error is there in dissector
then set this err_no & err_info & return (since dissector is void type).

we can check this this erro_no in seek_read/read & if found any err_no set
it will simplay set actual errno & err_info passed by ethereal & it will
return from seek_read/read by returning FALSE.

to me etheral works like this :

in wiretap :
1. go to open (check for file file format & do initialization) then perform
read function repeteadly untill it read a full file. (if we choose open
recent then this step is omitted)
2. go to open.
4. run read.
5. go to corresponding dissector.
5. run seek_read.
6. go to dissector.
7 run read & go to dissector until it has read whole packets.

8. now run seek read & dissectors (based on user selection )

(of cause we can speed up the operation in case of large file by having
checks eg. colum info is fed during read & not seek_read & decoding of hex
is done in seek_read not in read. so we can have checks accordingly by
knowing from where our contorl is coming (seek/read)
well this check will be applicable only for dissector which will be called
directly after seek/read i.e. after wiretap.

Kindy post ur comments is approaches like these are gud since there is no
provision of printing error in dissector right now in ethereal. or how can i
do it more refined way.

regards,
raman