Mailing List Archive

Re: [Ethereal-users] ARP decoding problems
Ethereal is decoding the data correctly. There really are 6 00's in the
data. On what OS did you
capture this packet?

--gilbert

Shawn Starr <spstarr@visualnet.rootpass.net> on 10/10/2000 06:39:19 PM

To: Gilbert Ramirez/Tivoli Systems@Tivoli Systems
cc:
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-users] ARP decoding problems

Yes here's one packet.

I dont know if its the capturing or decoding but a network engineer of
mine said thats not right.

Re: Re: [Ethereal-users] ARP decoding problems [ In reply to ]
> I dont know if its the capturing or decoding but a network engineer of
> mine said thats not right.

If the network engineer in question says it's "not right" because the
target MAC address in an ARP request is all zeroes, said network
engineer should perhaps get a refresher course in networking; as per my
mail, given that the purpose of an ARP request is to *discover* the MAC
address of the machine whose IP (or other) address is in the target
protocol address field, there is no good reason to expect that the
machine's MAC address will be in the request.
RE: Re: [Ethereal-users] ARP decoding problems [ In reply to ]
I agree. Unless this was an ARP REPLY, the sending station can't know what
the MAC address is by some metaphysical or magical process. That's the
whole PURPOSE behind ARP. It would make me question the knowledge and
experience of this "network engineer." This is classic. I'll have to save
this for my archives.

Fred Reimer - a "network engineer"
Eclipsys Corporation