Mailing List Archive

Tutorial slides up for review
Hi,

The slides I am planning to use in my Ethereal Tutorial in Malaysia are up
on the web at:

http://www.ns.aus.com/ethereal/presentations/tut-1/index.html

It is a magicpoint presentation.

I will be developing a more detailed one for the Australian Open Source
Software conference here in Adelaide in December, since that will be
attended my people who will want more detail.

Both tutes are designed to be presented with two display devices, one
presenting the slides, with the other for hacking and frobbing ...

Please note, if I have left your name off the early slide, it is not meant
as a slight, I simply have a limited amount of space. The list of
developers is up on the web site (and perhaps I should add that), and I
wanted to list those I see as the luminaries, and of course, I had to add
my own name as well :-)

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@ns.aus.com
Author, Special Edition, Using Samba
Re: Tutorial slides up for review [ In reply to ]
Richard Sharpe <sharpe@ns.aus.com> wrote:

> The slides I am planning to use in my Ethereal Tutorial in Malaysia are up
> on the web at:
>
> http://www.ns.aus.com/ethereal/presentations/tut-1/index.html

I took a quick look and found one typo. On slide 18, "Unpack your
source and prepare to build", the tar command for unpacking is
"tar ztvf ...". I suggest "tar zxvf ..." :-)

Also, the almost last slide, slide 50 "Resources", does not list
README.tvbuff. Those that create completely new dissectors
probably want to tvbuffify them from the beginning?

--
Heikki Vatiainen * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology * Tampere, Finland
RE: Tutorial slides up for review [ In reply to ]
On slide 24 you state that only summary information is need on the first
pass.
You should note the the proto_tree value will be set and a full dissection
done on the first pass if a filter (color or display) is requested.

You should also mention the fdata->flags.visited, when talking about adding
state based information. A handy way to determine that you are in the first
pass or doing a pass after all the per-packet and conversation data is
destroyed.

Jeff Foster.
jfoste@woodward.com