Mailing List Archive

Inter drbd communication
> Maybe this means DRBD should also allow the slave to ask the master for a
> complete resync. At least, it does make some sense... :)

Philip,

It seems we need a inter-drbd communication :
- remote status check,
- slave asking the master for a resync.

This probably means that drbd now need a "communication layer" somewhere to
remote execute ioctl.
I didn't know drbd code/kernel programming enought to say if it will be
difficult or not

Ps: My CVS account is working fine I will commit as soon as i will find some
time to update my code.

Thomas
Re: Inter drbd communication [ In reply to ]
Thomas Mangin wrote:

> > Maybe this means DRBD should also allow the slave to ask the master for a
> > complete resync. At least, it does make some sense... :)
>
> Philip,
>
> It seems we need a inter-drbd communication :
> - remote status check,
> - slave asking the master for a resync.
>
> This probably means that drbd now need a "communication layer" somewhere to
> remote execute ioctl.
> I didn't know drbd code/kernel programming enought to say if it will be
> difficult or not
>
> Ps: My CVS account is working fine I will commit as soon as i will find some
> time to update my code.

I would tend to think that this inter-drbd communication would be a good
idea - especially for the client resync. This is something necessary
if the client has had a disk replaced, or scrogged through human error.
Is it also necessary if the client used to be the master, and then the
slave took over?

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@example.com
Re: Inter drbd communication [ In reply to ]
> It seems we need a inter-drbd communication :
> - remote status check,
> - slave asking the master for a resync.
I forgot :
- Primary/Secondary swap

Thomas
Re: Inter drbd communication [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The only reason that a resynchronisation must be started on
the primary is that it was easier to implement :)

Added to TODO list:
If you run drbdsetup XX REPL on
a secondary, it will ask the primary to start the
resynchronisation thread.

No, it will not be too difficult.

-Philipp
Re: Inter drbd communication [ In reply to ]

?

> > - slave asking the master for a resync.
Yes, I will implement that!

> I forgot :
> - Primary/Secondary swap
I do not think that this would be usefull. Becuase switching
to secondary can fail (if someone has opened the dev for
rw access)

-Philipp
Inter drbd communication [ In reply to ]
Hi philipp,

Can you think of a way to give ioctl order on the device situated on the
remote computer ?
- This will allow the client resync request and much more control over drbd
- Deny any try to become primary if the other side is already primary
- Creating a new IOCTL to command a change on the local computer to change
the device from primary to secondary and the remote computer from secondary
to primary. So no one would get two secondary.

Thomas