Mailing List Archive

Re: [gfs-users] distributed block device, version 0.10
hayden@example.com wrote:

> [...]
> Instructions are included in the HOWTO.
>
> * Raw character devices are supported.
>
> * Performance has been improved a great deal.
>
> The release includes (1) block-data servers that can store data for
> any number of virtual disks, (2) replicated "manager" servers that
> store the global meta-data for the system and manage the storage
> servers, and (3) the client code for accessing the system. More
> information on the DBD, including a tutorial based on the user-level
> programs as well as instructions for building/running the client
> kernel module are included in the Northfork HOWTO.
>
> Some of the features of the DBD are:
>
> * High-availability: level of redundancy can be specified for each
> disk. For intance, specifying 2-way replication causes each block
> of data to be stored on 2 storage servers.
>
> * Scalability. Arbitrary numbers of storage servers can be added to
> the system. They can be added incrementally as more storage is
> required. Each virtual disk can be "striped" on multiple storage
> servers using a technique called "chained de-clustering." What
> this means is that there is increased throughput because different
> servers are providing different portions of the data.
>
> * Asynchronous protocols. The system is designed from the bottom up
> to be implemented using asynchronous protocols that tolerate
> arbitrary reorderings and delays in messages. Many other systems
> are not designed in this fashion and are thus subject to various
> failure modes known as "split-brain" scenarios that can result in
> your data being corrupted. Those systems attempt to avoid these
> scenarios through techniques such as redundant networking hardware
> and hardware watchdog timers. The DBD solves these problems
> through protocols designed to never allow data corruption as a
> result of partial connectivity.
>
> * Designed to work with the distributed lock manager described below
> (as well as other lock managers). This means multiple clients can
> coordinate concurrent access to a virtual disk, such as when using
> a clustered file system like GFS.
>
> * Future capabilities anticipated in the DBD design include snapshots
> of virtual disks and the ability to reorganize the layout of data
> on the fly.
>
> PAXOS REPLICATED DATA SERVICE
>
> C-Ensemble includes a replicated data service based on Leslie
> Lamport's Paxos protocol. No familiarity with C-Ensemble is needed
> to use the Paxos service (all the interface is in two header files).
> More information on this service can be found in Northfork HOWTO.
>
> DLM
>
> C-Ensemble includes a complete distributed lock manager (DLM) built
> using the toolkit. The DLM can be used either through a text-based
> pipe interface or linked into your application as a C library. No
> familiarity with C-Ensemble is needed to use the DLM (all the
> interface is in one header file). More information and a DLM
> tutorial can be found in the Northfork HOWTO.

There is no link to howto on Northforknet.com! Is it a joke?
Re: Re: [gfs-users] distributed block device, version 0.10 [ In reply to ]
No, the software is not a joke. Unfortunately, we've
decided to reconsider our decision to release the software
under the GPL license. We would like to make our software
available to the open-source community and hope to have
this issue sorted out soon. We'll shortly replace the broken
links with a page explaining the situation. I apologize
for the (now) inaccurate announcement of last week.

regards, Mark

Re: Re: [gfs-users] distributed block device, version 0.10 [ In reply to ]
On 2001-01-29T11:01:20,
Mark Hayden <mark@example.com> said:

(I have cut the list of mailing lists this crosspost was sent to)

> No, the software is not a joke. Unfortunately, we've
> decided to reconsider our decision to release the software
> under the GPL license. We would like to make our software
> available to the open-source community and hope to have
> this issue sorted out soon.

Will that mean you will make your code available under an Open Source license,
or does it imply that we will not be allowed to distribute patches etc?

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@example.com>

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl

Linux HA Web Site:
http://linux-ha.org/
Linux HA HOWTO:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/linux-ha/High-Availability-HOWTO.html
Re: Re: [gfs-users] distributed block device, version 0.10 [ In reply to ]
Lars,
To be honest, we are not sure what the licensing
will be. I've developed the software (and the
surrounding infrastructure) over the last 8 years
following the open-source model and my general
preference is to continue in that fashion to the
degree possible. I will post information on
our site as we learn more. In the meantime, anyone
interested in getting access to newer versions
should contact me directly. I'd like to apologize
again for any confusion this has caused.

--Mark