Mailing List Archive

/var/state... arg!
Thomas,

I instigated a discussion on the reason for the existence of /var/state/
and found out that it's really a misnomer.. that dir will go away when
the FHS solidifies. Here's the output of said discussion:

Seth David Schoen wrote:

<snip>

> > OK, so /var/state/drbd/ seems suitable, so why does nfs maintain it's
> > "state" info in various files in /var/lib/nfs/ and not in
> > /var/state/nfs/?
>
> (Trying to understand the FHS better.)
>
> /var/lib is used in FHS 2.1 for variable state information, so it
> looks like it's the successor to /var/state. I'm out of date!
>
> /var/cache is used for caching of things which could be regenerated;
> /var/spool is used for storing things until they are processed.
>
> /var/run is for state information about the system since it was
> booted, and /var/lib is for permanent state information (well, it
> will be preserved when the system is rebooted).

So, it looks like /var/run is really the place you want to put your
state file, since that data will change with each reboot. Sorry for the
confusion.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Yocum, Sr. Linux Consultant
Linuxcare, Inc.

Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.
Re: /var/state... arg! [ In reply to ]
Dan Yocum wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> I instigated a discussion on the reason for the existence of /var/state/
> and found out that it's really a misnomer.. that dir will go away when
> the FHS solidifies. Here's the output of said discussion:
>
> Seth David Schoen wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > > OK, so /var/state/drbd/ seems suitable, so why does nfs maintain it's
> > > "state" info in various files in /var/lib/nfs/ and not in
> > > /var/state/nfs/?
> >
> > (Trying to understand the FHS better.)
> >
> > /var/lib is used in FHS 2.1 for variable state information, so it
> > looks like it's the successor to /var/state. I'm out of date!
> >
> > /var/cache is used for caching of things which could be regenerated;
> > /var/spool is used for storing things until they are processed.
> >
> > /var/run is for state information about the system since it was
> > booted, and /var/lib is for permanent state information (well, it
> > will be preserved when the system is rebooted).
>
> So, it looks like /var/run is really the place you want to put your
> state file, since that data will change with each reboot. Sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

The location must be /var/lib as it is a persistent information which must
be
keep between reboot. This file is used to restore drbd as it was before a
crash
or a halt/reboot.

Thank for pointing that I will modify CVS now.

Thomas