Mailing List Archive

Kernel 2.4.x and nbd
Is it right that one has to compile a Kernel without nbd-Support even under 2.4.x??

Sincerely
Heino Schneider
Re: Kernel 2.4.x and nbd [ In reply to ]
* wilke.nadine@example.com <wilke.nadine@gmx.de> [001003 21:06]:
> So what - would you like to use both drbd and nbd, which is a
> subset of drbd (why we have drbd) ? -> so disable it. In 2.2.x kernel
> it will conflict about it major device number - think in 2.4.x too.

In 2.2.x it was necessary to abuse nbd's major number, since there was
special treatment for major 43 hardcoded into the 'generic' request
handling code.
Fortunately this was cleaned up in 2.4.x, so it would be possible to
switch to our own major number now. -- But why should I do this now?
since drbd still supports 2.2.x it would introduce even more ugly
#ifdefs, and BTW I think the next time I touch this device number code
I will replace it with devfs support. -- Dynamic major numbers are the
way to go.

-Philipp