Mailing List Archive

drbd-9.1.17 and drbd-9.2.6
Happy Halloween our spooky friends
Our latest release shows we've made some mends

To make sure your data processing has little delay
We have brought back our RDMA from decay

Our new DRBD encryption is meant to be scary
It will definitely make any unauthorized parties be wary

Our last update is meant to be seen
Our new TCP transport is so fast you'll scream

Hopefully, some of our enhancements save you from fright,
And please, have a great Halloween tonight!

In the second week in release-candidate status, we got minor fixes on
the 9.2 branch and nothing on the 9.1 branch. It feels ready now.

I just read over my announcements of rc.1 and rc.2 and wondered why I
described the news in such a confusing way. Trying it again:

TLS: If you want to enable TLS put this into your config

net {
tls yes;
}

More details, here:
https://linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/drbd-guide-9_0-en/#s-tcp_ip-tls

Load-balancing over multiple TCP connections:

net {
load-balance-paths yes;
}

For that to do something useful, you need to have multiple paths for a
connection in your config. See here for more:
https://linbit.com/drbd-user-guide/drbd-guide-9_0-en/#s-configuring-multiple-paths

As of this release, you can not use 'tls' and 'load-balance-paths' together.

The RDMA transport got several fixes and two new configuration options.

9.2.6 (api:genl2/proto:86-122/transport:19)
--------
* a series of fixes to the RDMA transport, making it compatible with
more recent Mellanox cards and fixes in general to the RDMA code
* Tuning parameter rdma-ctrl-(snd|rcv)buf-size for fine tuning
* Makefile updates for compiling with OFED
* optional TLS encryption for the TCP transport, based on kTLS with
TLS handshakes in userspace
* a new load-balancing TCP transport "lb-tcp" that establises all
configured paths in paralle and distributes the packet load
over them
* a new config net option 'load-balance-paths' that easens
the steps of renaming the transports tcp to tcp-legacy and
lb-tcp to tcp and the final removal of the older tcp
implementation
* changes merged from drbd-9.1.17
- fix a potential crash when configuring drbd to bind to a
non-existent local IP address (this is a regression of drbd-9.1.8)
- Cure a very seldom triggering race condition bug during
establishing connections; when you triggered it, you got an OOPS
hinting to list corruption
- fix a race condition regarding operations on the bitmap while
forgetting a bitmap slot and a pointless warning
- Fix handling of unexpected (on a resource in secondary role) write
requests
- Fix a corner case that can cause a process to hang when closing the
DRBD device, while a connection gets re-established
- Correctly block signal delivery during auto-demote
- Improve the reliability of establishing connections
- Do not clear the transport with `net-options --set-defaults`. This
fix avoids unexpected disconnect/connect cycles upon an `adjust`
when using the 'lb-tcp' or 'rdma' transports in drbd-9.2.
- New netlink packet to report path status to drbdsetup
- Improvements to the content and rate-limiting of many log messages
- Update compatibility code and follow Linux upstream development
until Linux 6.5

https://github.com/LINBIT/drbd/commit/36c922e6b26d558e256ed490a5e859afbbed08c3
https://pkg.linbit.com//downloads/drbd/9/drbd-9.1.17.tar.gz

https://github.com/LINBIT/drbd/commit/52144c0f90a0fb00df6a7d6714ec9034c7af7a28