under /etc?
under /usr/local/etc?

I've found three possible options in the docs, so which is it?
Re: where to put dbmail.conf [ In reply to ]
Am 03.04.20 um 21:26 schrieb David in Denver:
> under /etc/dbmail?
> under /etc?
> under /usr/local/etc?
>
> I've found three possible options in the docs, so which is it?

depends on your environment and packaging
Re: where to put dbmail.conf [ In reply to ]
see, this is what I mean, no useful information. docs are incomplete, conflicting information, and no actual answers.
the docs do not provide the information needed to install a working 3.2.3 version install; even if you are a trained monkey. Lots of docs, and no MWE. Unless I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be, which could be the case.

________________________________

Re: where to put dbmail.conf [ In reply to ]
Here's an example. Instruction say to edit

## vim /etc/default/dbmail

START_IMAPD=true
START_LMTPD=true

and then to restart dbmail with:

service dbmail restart

the problem with this is that there is no file dbmail to edit at /etc/default/, so the instruction should probably say to CREATE and add, to the file; further, there is no dbmail service to restart; and there are no instruction on how to start or restart dbmail for ANY platform regardless of OS.

Oh look, no useful docs. what a surprise.

________________________________

Re: where to put dbmail.conf [ In reply to ]
Am 03.04.20 um 22:04 schrieb David in Denver:
> Here's an example.  Instruction say to edit
>
> ## vim /etc/default/dbmail
>
> START_IMAPD=true
> START_LMTPD=true
>
> and then to restart dbmail with:
>
> service dbmail restart

that is decades old

"see, this is what I mean, no useful information. docs are incomplete,
conflicting information, and no actual answers" is wrong - you are
supposed to know about basic things like starzing pcrocesses on your OS

"service dbmail restart" didm't *never* work on a proper distribution
because dbmail-imapd, dbmail-pop3d, dbmail-lmtpd and so on are services
at heir own

/etc/default/dbmail is besides that *distribution specific+ and there is
nothing like uniformed start of services before the hated systemd
working liek a charm for a decade now

dbmail and no other service can smell your distribution and environment
Re: where to put dbmail.conf [ In reply to ]
Am 03.04.20 um 22:04 schrieb David in Denver:
> are no instruction on how to start or restart dbmail for ANY platform
> regardless of OS.
>
> Oh look, no useful docs. ?what a surprise

again: if you can't stand basic adminstrazion atsks don't run a mailserver

attached systemd-units running fine for neraly a decade, maybe some
options are not available one stone old systems and if you ahve some
crap still not using systemd welcome the modern world

and no - not every security option may apply to your environment - i
dont give a shit about anything before Fedora 31
Re: where to put dbmail.conf [ In reply to ]
I do understand basic administration, I've been coding in debian for 15 years. I usually use Squeeze, but have updated to debian 9 for this server and they've changed a lot of stuff. More importantly, your docs ARE INCOMPLETE; and there is a huge difference between the config files between version 2 and 3 of dbmail.

stop answering if you aren't going to help. ... and why would anyone use red hat? rpm is the worst. dependency hell. The docs don't even explain how to start dbmail-pop3d -- ridiculous.

________________________________

Re: where to put dbmail.conf [ In reply to ]
Am 03.04.20 um 22:39 schrieb David in Denver:
> I do understand basic administration, I've been coding in debian for 15
> years.  I usually use Squeeze, but have updated to debian 9 for this
> server and they've changed a lot of stuff.  More importantly, your docs
> ARE INCOMPLETE; and there is a huge difference between the config files
> between version 2 and 3 of dbmail.
>
> stop answering if you aren't going to help.  ... and why would anyone
> use red hat? rpm is the worst.  dependency hell.  The docs don't even
> explain how to start dbmail-pop3d -- ridiculous.

by just start dbmail-pop3d in doubt, add & and it runs in background-
see attached systemd-units and even debian has systemd these days

sorry, but i don't remember dbmail2 after neraly a decade dbmail3