Mailing List Archive

2.2.16 Upgrade Path
We have a server that has been running good for a very long time. We have
new hardware and I am tasked with the migration. I have done several test
migrations.

Is there a version that is recommended?

dumped the 240G database then imported it to the new server.

Then ran:

2_2-3_0.pgsql
and
3_0_2-3_1_0.psql

then ran 3.1.17 dbmail-util -ay

It has been running for several days now. Is this a sign of a problem or
just a very large DB? Do I need to do anything before I run
3_0_2-3_1_0.pgsql

Would it be better to go to 3.2.3? and if I did would I just do:

2_2-3_0.pgsql
and
3_0_2-3_1_0.psql

and then run dbmail-util -ay

or do I need to run the scripts in the postgresql/upgrades folder also? Its
automatic after 3.1?

Any help is appreciated.

--
Richard Carroll
Re: 2.2.16 Upgrade Path [ In reply to ]
Great to hear you are upgrading to a recent version.

Several days seems excessive, though 240Gb... You are able to stop it at
anytime and continue. The current dbmail-util -m limit has a default
migration of 10000 which may help with confidence that something is
happening, not sure about 3.1.17 the limit may have been added after.

I'm running 3.2.3 here with a few important bug-fixes that may still be
in github, though the kind people at FreeBSD have included them in their
ports.

You should still have access to your emails and be able to have new ones
delivered without issue. The migration updates header fields so the
sooner the migration completes the better.

Regards,
Alan Hicks

Re: 2.2.16 Upgrade Path [ In reply to ]
On 2017-04-12 18:54, Alan Hicks wrote:
> Great to hear you are upgrading to a recent version.
>
> Several days seems excessive, though 240Gb... You are able to stop it
> at anytime and continue. The current dbmail-util -m limit has a
> default migration of 10000 which may help with confidence that
> something is happening, not sure about 3.1.17 the limit may have been
> added after.
>
> I'm running 3.2.3 here with a few important bug-fixes that may still
> be in github, though the kind people at FreeBSD have included them in
> their ports.
hi

which bug-fixes are you referring to? I'm considering adding them to the
gentoo ebuild too.

Regards
Re: 2.2.16 Upgrade Path [ In reply to ]
On 13/05/2017 09:22, Thomas Raschbacher wrote:
> On 2017-04-12 18:54, Alan Hicks wrote:
>> Great to hear you are upgrading to a recent version.
>>
>> Several days seems excessive, though 240Gb... You are able to stop it
>> at anytime and continue. The current dbmail-util -m limit has a
>> default migration of 10000 which may help with confidence that
>> something is happening, not sure about 3.1.17 the limit may have been
>> added after.
>>
>> I'm running 3.2.3 here with a few important bug-fixes that may still
>> be in github, though the kind people at FreeBSD have included them in
>> their ports.
> hi
>
> which bug-fixes are you referring to? I'm considering adding them to the
> gentoo ebuild too.

Paul will may be better able to advise, but the source at
http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/ has updates that haven't been put into
a release yet.

I've got a task to fix an open issue with MySQL 5.7
http://dbmail.org/mantis/view.php?id=1078 alas I've been distracted for
some weeks...

Regards,
Alan

Re: 2.2.16 Upgrade Path [ In reply to ]
On 2017-05-14 14:23, Alan Hicks wrote:
> On 13/05/2017 09:22, Thomas Raschbacher wrote:
>> On 2017-04-12 18:54, Alan Hicks wrote:
>>> Great to hear you are upgrading to a recent version.
>>>
>>> Several days seems excessive, though 240Gb... You are able to stop it
>>> at anytime and continue. The current dbmail-util -m limit has a
>>> default migration of 10000 which may help with confidence that
>>> something is happening, not sure about 3.1.17 the limit may have been
>>> added after.
>>>
>>> I'm running 3.2.3 here with a few important bug-fixes that may still
>>> be in github, though the kind people at FreeBSD have included them in
>>> their ports.
>> hi
>>
>> which bug-fixes are you referring to? I'm considering adding them to
>> the gentoo ebuild too.
>
> Paul will may be better able to advise, but the source at
> http://git.dbmail.eu/paul/dbmail/ has updates that haven't been put
> into a release yet.

@Paul: could you be convinced to make a new release for packaging those
latest fixes easier?