I'm wondering why DBmail needs a restart every time it's disconnected
from the ldap server.

This actually kinda annoys me because it should just do a lookup if
needed and not have the connection open forever and die when it loses
it.

Anyone a clue why this happens and how to workaround it ?

Thanks!

Matt
Re: Dbmail needs restart on Ldap connection lost/restart [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Anyone a clue about this ? I think some monitoring can't fix this. So
I'm figuring out a solution.

Cheers,

Matthijs

Re: Dbmail needs restart on Ldap connection lost/restart [ In reply to ]
Keeping a connection open to LDAP allows much higher throughput so
opening a new connection when needed would degrade the service.

LDAP is one of those services that should always be available because it
is a core authentication service so don't understand why yours is
disconnecting.

Monitoring CAN fix this, nagios is used here at Persistent Objects but
any good monitoring software will work by checking if the service is
running and restart if not. Completely automatic and transparent to
users. Rarely kicks in as dbmail is so reliable.

Not sure why you are getting annoyed at dbmail, I would be frustrated at
LDAP as it is 100% reliable here.

Regards,
Alan

On 30/08/2015 13:03, Matt . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone a clue about this ? I think some monitoring can't fix this. So
> I'm figuring out a solution.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthijs

>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I'm wondering why DBmail needs a restart every time it's disconnected
>> from the ldap server.
>>
>> This actually kinda annoys me because it should just do a lookup if
>> needed and not have the connection open forever and die when it loses
>> it.
>>
>> Anyone a clue why this happens and how to workaround it ?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Matt

Persistent Objects Ltd
128 Lilleshall Road
London SM4 6DR

The Home of Lasting Solutions

Registered in England and Wales 03538717

+44/0 79 3030 5004
+44/0 20 8544 5292
http://p-o.co.uk
https://plus.google.com/+AlanHicksLondon
Re: Dbmail needs restart on Ldap connection lost/restart [ In reply to ]
Am 31.08.2015 um 00:13 schrieb Alan Hicks:
> Keeping a connection open to LDAP allows much higher throughput so
> opening a new connection when needed would degrade the service.

but that's no reason DBMail dying when you reboot the LDAP server

> LDAP is one of those services that should always be available because it
> is a core authentication service so don't understand why yours is
> disconnecting.

you really don't want to restart services left and right on other
machines after you reboot the LDAP server after as example a kernel update

> Monitoring CAN fix this, nagios is used here at Persistent Objects but
> any good monitoring software will work by checking if the service is
> running and restart if not. Completely automatic and transparent to
> users. Rarely kicks in as dbmail is so reliable.
>
> Not sure why you are getting annoyed at dbmail, I would be frustrated at
> LDAP as it is 100% reliable here.

as said: sometimes servers needs to be rebootet and stable services
should just reconnect or *really* die not just stop working, if DBMail
can't recover after lost of the LDAP connection it should just exit with
a error-status when it no longer works at all

in that case at least supervisors like systemd could restart it
automatically

Re: Dbmail needs restart on Ldap connection lost/restart [ In reply to ]
On 31/08/2015 00:47, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 31.08.2015 um 00:13 schrieb Alan Hicks:
>> Keeping a connection open to LDAP allows much higher throughput so
>> opening a new connection when needed would degrade the service.
>
> but that's no reason DBMail dying when you reboot the LDAP server

Agreed, patches welcome.

>> LDAP is one of those services that should always be available because it
>> is a core authentication service so don't understand why yours is
>> disconnecting.
>
> you really don't want to restart services left and right on other
> machines after you reboot the LDAP server after as example a kernel update
Agreed

>> Monitoring CAN fix this, nagios is used here at Persistent Objects but
>> any good monitoring software will work by checking if the service is
>> running and restart if not. Completely automatic and transparent to
>> users. Rarely kicks in as dbmail is so reliable.
>>
>> Not sure why you are getting annoyed at dbmail, I would be frustrated at
>> LDAP as it is 100% reliable here.
>
> as said: sometimes servers needs to be rebootet and stable services
> should just reconnect or *really* die not just stop working, if DBMail
> can't recover after lost of the LDAP connection it should just exit with
> a error-status when it no longer works at all
>
> in that case at least supervisors like systemd could restart it
> automatically

Agreed, though the OP was under the impression that this could not be
fixed with monitoring which is not the case.

Re: Dbmail needs restart on Ldap connection lost/restart [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I think I'm missing some email here from Alan ?

Anyways, LDAP should not be open, it should connect all the time. I
know why a connection is open, it should be faster response but even
than, that wouldn't be a good reason to keep a connection to ldap open
and just crash when it's losing that "only connection".

You cannot monitor this, you can only see it in the logs when LDAP
went gone and you try to access your imap server.

Logging that message might be an idea from the logs, but better
monitoring from dbmail itself would be MUCH better if you ask me.

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Dbmail needs restart on Ldap connection lost/restart [ In reply to ]
On 31/08/2015 09:09, Matt . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I'm missing some email here from Alan ?
My email is protected with dmarc and forwards from mailing lists appear
to be an occasional casualty; the email will be available in any archive.

> Anyways, LDAP should not be open, it should connect all the time. I
> know why a connection is open, it should be faster response but even
> than, that wouldn't be a good reason to keep a connection to ldap open
> and just crash when it's losing that "only connection".
>
> You cannot monitor this, you can only see it in the logs when LDAP
> went gone and you try to access your imap server.
Monitoring the imap service will spot this, originally implemented here
for the memory leaks now fixed, but useful for the rare occasion when as
Reindl identified upgrading OpenLDAP. Essential for nss-pam-ldap as it
has a similar issue that affects us.

> Logging that message might be an idea from the logs, but better
> monitoring from dbmail itself would be MUCH better if you ask me.
Agreed, though it should be straightforward to check if the connection
is live and re-connect if necessary - ie just work (tm)

Regards,
Alan