Mailing List Archive

Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it
Hi all,

It was brought to my attention that dbmail currently authenticates any
user with any password if the client issues an CRAM-MD5 authentication
exchange, while the user - which does need to exist - has it's password
stored in an encrypted format.

This affects all versions supporting cram-md5, so 3.0.0 and later.

Installations using authldap are *not* affected.

You should disable CRAM-MD5 in dbmail.conf if you store password encrypted.

A patch was already pushed to git both on dbmail.eu and github.

I'll release a patched version asap.

Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
On 19-12-14 22:55, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> You should disable CRAM-MD5 in dbmail.conf if you store password encrypted.
ehh.. how? by setting 'capability'?

Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
> On 19-12-14 22:55, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> > You should disable CRAM-MD5 in dbmail.conf if you store password
> encrypted.
> ehh.. how? by setting 'capability'?

Hi Casper,

Yes, overwrite capability with the string you get after login, and remote
CRAM-MD5.

Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
> Yes, overwrite capability with the string you get after login, and
> remote CRAM-MD5.

Remote = remove :)

Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
I imagined the capability string only was the advertised capabilities,
so I checked the source. Nowhere in the dbmail source I see that
CRAM-MD5 is actually disabled, but I could be missing the location.
Could dbmail still authenticate a malicious client?
Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
Ok.

Good news: dbmail-3.1 is not affected. Apparently the problem only
occurs in 3.2.0 and 3.2.1. It's definitely a regression.

Bad news: if you use 3.2, you should apply the patch I pushed yesterday.
The workaround offers no real protection, as Caspar correctly surmised.

Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
On 2014-12-20 22:20, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Ok.
>

> Good news: dbmail-3.1 is not affected. Apparently the problem only
> occurs in 3.2.0 and 3.2.1. It's definitely a regression.
>
> Bad news: if you use 3.2, you should apply the patch I pushed
> yesterday.
> The workaround offers no real protection, as Caspar correctly surmised.

Hi.

good that my server isn'T busy I only just noticed this now.

@Paul: any chance for a new version soon that I can package up?

also it might be good to create a CVE:
http://www.cvedetails.com/product/3284/Dbmail-Dbmail.html?vendor_id=1941

Regards

Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
On 2014-12-20 22:20, Paul J Stevens wrote:
> Ok.
>

> Good news: dbmail-3.1 is not affected. Apparently the problem only
> occurs in 3.2.0 and 3.2.1. It's definitely a regression.
>
> Bad news: if you use 3.2, you should apply the patch I pushed
> yesterday.
> The workaround offers no real protection, as Caspar correctly surmised.

@paul: I just noticed that the webpage is in need of some attention --
in particular the downloads section lists 3.2.0 as only 3.2 release so
if you could upload 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 that'd be great since I otherwise
have to just patch from 3.2.0 to 3.2.2 in our (gentoo) ebuild.

Regards
Re: Security alert: disable CRAM-MD5 if you don't use it [ In reply to ]
On 27-12-14 18:56, Thomas Raschbacher wrote:

> also it might be good to create a CVE:
> http://www.cvedetails.com/product/3284/Dbmail-Dbmail.html?vendor_id=1941

I have no idea where to even begin doing that. Looks like a complete
nightmare.