seperate frontend machine ?

Cheers,

Matt
Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
Am 31.10.2014 um 10:37 schrieb Matt .:
> Is it possible to have Postfix on a seperate machine ? I'm not able to
> find out how to change the lmtp line for this at Postfix.
>
> Does anyone have examples or is it not ideal at all to have Postfix on
> seperate frontend machine?

you specified somewhere the transport with 127.0.0.1:24
change that to whatever IP
Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
Am 31.10.2014 um 10:37 schrieb Matt .:
> Hi guys,
>
> Is it possible to have Postfix on a seperate machine ? I'm not able to
> find out how to change the lmtp line for this at Postfix.
>
> Does anyone have examples or is it not ideal at all to have Postfix on
> seperate frontend machine ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Hi.

I know we talked in IRC about this before, but one thing I just thought
of would be to run the outside facing postfix server (which might do
RBL,..) on a different machine and forward it to a postfix server with a
very simple config (no spam filter, RBL,.. since it only would receive
mails from the other server) on the dbmail machine to use lmtp? ^^

otherwise i suggest you give an ssh tunnel and/or iptables a go ^^

Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
Hi Thomas,

Yes we did, but as in performance and security I want to inform myself
as good as I can.

There are spamfilters in front, and also outgoing spamfilters are
there. The only question is... is it a performance issue too to have
Postfix locally ? Most services are seperated here per box.

Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
Am 31.10.2014 um 10:44 schrieb Matt .:
> Yes we did, but as in performance and security I want to inform myself
> as good as I can.
>
> There are spamfilters in front, and also outgoing spamfilters are
> there. The only question is... is it a performance issue too to have
> Postfix locally ? Most services are seperated here per box.

no - LMTP is more or less the same as SMTP

so if you handle your incoming load with SMTP over WAN you handle also
the LMTP load inside the LAN and you should *in general* limit the LMTP
deliveries to only one at the same time in case of dbmail-lmtpd

Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
On 31-10-14 10:54, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 31.10.2014 um 10:44 schrieb Matt .:
>> Yes we did, but as in performance and security I want to inform myself
>> as good as I can.
>>
>> There are spamfilters in front, and also outgoing spamfilters are
>> there. The only question is... is it a performance issue too to have
>> Postfix locally ? Most services are seperated here per box.
>
> no - LMTP is more or less the same as SMTP
>
> so if you handle your incoming load with SMTP over WAN you handle also
> the LMTP load inside the LAN and you should *in general* limit the LMTP
> deliveries to only one at the same time in case of dbmail-lmtpd

Indeed. I *never* run an incoming MTA on the imap/pop3 hosts if I can
avoid it. LMTP was designed for this.

mailbox_transport = lmtp:[dbmail]:24
virtual_transport = lmtp:[dbmail]:24

where 'dbmail' can be any IP or hostname you prefer. Of course, normal
latency considerations apply.

Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
Nice, just for verification! thanks guys!

Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
Paul,

What confused me what the piped-smtp, how does it help in the setup ?
is it if/or ? I have a testsetup where I use both actually.

Regards,

Matt

Re: DBmail with external SMTP server [ In reply to ]
On 31/10/14 03:54, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 31.10.2014 um 10:44 schrieb Matt .:
>> Yes we did, but as in performance and security I want to inform myself
>> as good as I can.
>>
>> There are spamfilters in front, and also outgoing spamfilters are
>> there. The only question is... is it a performance issue too to have
>> Postfix locally ? Most services are seperated here per box.
>
> no - LMTP is more or less the same as SMTP
>
> so if you handle your incoming load with SMTP over WAN you handle also
> the LMTP load inside the LAN and you should *in general* limit the
> LMTP deliveries to only one at the same time in case of dbmail-lmtpd

You can have multiple dbmail-lmtp processes listening to a different IP
address each and balance lmtp deliveries with DNS round robin.

Since LMTP is intended for local network traffic you could spawn
multiple (cloned) vservers with their own local IP address and running
one dbmail-lmtpd instance each.

You might run as many dbmail-lmtpd processes as CPU cores are available
in your database server provided your RDBMS is well tuned for the load.